We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

secrets silversands wasn't all that

denver,co
Level Contributor
882 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
secrets silversands wasn't all that

Gonna post my review soon. We just we not thrilled.

Just so you know, I have been to Cancun, Playa del Carmen and a few other resorts all over Mexico. I've stayed at many different resorts. I am not overly picky at all.

I just wasn't impressed.

It was a beautiful resort. The food was great too.

The service was really soso. Nobody was friendly. I tip very well too. I would tip $5 for a drink and not even get a thank you. Nobody smiles. Not even at check in. Never got a glass of champagne on arrival either.

The beach is horrible. The water isn't nice and clear. It's full of sharp rocks. We had proffesional photo's taken. I cut my foot bad in ocean while taking pictures.

We went to Cancun and my wife (who has never been there before) was saying how much prettier the ocean and beach was there.

My biggest dissapointment was the service. Everytime I have been to Cancun, or Playa del Carmen, I'm used to really friendly service. I was thinking since it was such a nice resort, that maybe the employees just expect people to throw tips and don't have to go above and beyond.

Not a lot of employees spoke much English either. Whenever I asked for help finding something, they just gave me a blank look like they didn't know what I was saying.

Used to be when I tipped $5 for a beer at a all-inclusive resort they were greatful. Not anymore....

I know I should have paid more attention to the bad beach reviews here so I don't mean to complain about that. But why would such a great chain like Secret build a beautiful resort at a horrible location? And not train their staff to be friendly. Back to the Riu resorts for me. Especially Riu Palace Las America's. Sorry I tried something different.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: secrets silversands wasn't all that

I do agree that the beach at Silversands wasn't good but I knew that going in and I found the pools to be good so I was satisfied. Other than that though, my experience was the complete opposite of yours. I thought the staff was warm and very friendly and the service was excellent.

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: secrets silversands wasn't all that

Welcome back. Sad to hear your trip did not go well. I kind of expected you would be disapointed given some of your previous post before even getting to the resort.

It's a shame that the staff's English was not what you expected. I can't imagine going to a foreign country and not having the help speak English, you must have been horrified.

I hope your next vacation is much better. I think the RIU resorts would be better for you. Again, sorry to hear about your trip.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 11:45
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: secrets silversands wasn't all that

<I kind of expected you would be disapointed given some of your previous post before even getting to the resort. >

I also am not at all surprised you were disappointed. Several of us tried to point you in other directions but you were taken with SSS for some reason.

Did you end up going off property at night to party? I know that was your intention am curious if you made the effort as it is not very convenient to do so.

<But why would such a great chain like Secret build a beautiful resort at a horrible location? >

There are plenty of people apparently who prefer pools to beaches or who do not care that the beach is not very good. It is the cheapest of all the Secrets in MX so I suspect that is the biggest factor in its popularity.

Having visited once, I would not stay at SSS personally.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: secrets silversands wasn't all that

It's a shame that the staff's English was not what you expected. I can't imagine going to a foreign country and not having the help speak English, you must have been horrified

5 stars love it.

louisiana
Level Contributor
554 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: secrets silversands wasn't all that

Wow, you hardly ever hear complaints about service at SSS. I have had nothing but excellent service, smiles and " how can I help you" the 3 times that I have been there. Glad I'm going back for visit "4" to check on this issue. As for as the language, they understand a smile and try their best to communicate, at least that is what I have found. You are right though, this resort is not for everyone, thank goodness or I would never be able to get reservations.

Hey, did you try out the Jungle Spa? We just love that place ;)

IA
Level Contributor
873 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: secrets silversands wasn't all that

I was there last week and the staff was awesome from the time we hit the driveway until the time we left. The poolside/beachside bar staff was awesome. I think the beach was good, but the entrance into the water not so good. I would go back here in a heartbeat.

I would like to mention a couple of the staff that were our favorites.

Bellman/Welcoming Committe(for lack of a better term as he was more than that)--Omar

Poolside --Mercedes and Veronica Our drinks never went empty and to see their smiles was awesome.

Buffet- Adam and Wilford (not sure on spelling) This was like a 2 man comedy show in the morning.

Concerige-Zuko did so much for us preplanning and once there.

GM- Javier-It was a pleasure meeting and talking with him. He is truely concerned with what goes on at the resort. You will see him jogging in the mornings to get a first hand look at the resort.

Thanks to all.

Matt

dorset
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: secrets silversands wasn't all that

If the bad service is true, then thats a shame, but it is so out of character with what everyone else is saying???

I disagree with the horrible location too, having stayed right next door at the Sensatori, the location is beautiful, the only problem is the rocky sea bed, i dont get the 'horrible beach' comments. This problem is so well documented how can you not be aware of it.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,487 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: secrets silversands wasn't all that

Sorry to hear your trip was not as you had wanted

Oh well we are still looking forward to our trip in May

Edited: 06 March 2012, 16:30
louisiana
Level Contributor
554 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: secrets silversands wasn't all that

@flipflop - when in May will you be there. We will be there the 1st - 7th

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: secrets silversands wasn't all that

we still cant wait..

although we appreciate friendly service we are very quiet/shy people. dont really chit chat with people unless they talk to us first so i dont need too much from the service in terms of extra friendliness.

we tip really well cause we know they work hard and dont really expect anything extra in return..

def bringing water shoes....as long as i can get in there slowly i'm all good.