We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

Im leaning towards the ME Cancun, but there's something bringing me back to these two resorts.

I would be celebrating my birthday in August going with friends. I would like to get a swim out room. I'm going with a few friends-mixed group,so I don't need an environment where it's ultra romantic. I definitely want an adults only/adult oriented environment that is somewhat lively and not stuffy or quiet. So I'm not looking for a zen like environment. I don't need to upgrade to Privilege or Preferred clubs. I've stayed in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area plenty of times, but this will be my first in the Puerto Morelos area.

The thing I don't like about these resorts are the beaches. I know their pools make up for that, but I'm a beach and a pool person. I visited the Royal Suites Yucatan and I vowed never to return, because their rocky beach sucked.

Is this the case about these 2 resorts? I know the color of the water doesn't come close to Cancun, but I'm more worried about not having cuts on my feet. Which of the 2 resorts has what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,977 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

I can't speak to SSS 'cos I've never been there but the beach at the VIM is fine - and I'm a confirmed beach gal.

altoona
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

I've been to both and both are very nice!! If you're a beach person VIM is where you want to go.

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

We have been to the Valentin, loved and continue to return. (we have been to many others too)

They have wonderful service, beautiful facilities and the beach has been different but great each time

We consider it a home away from home :)

Edited: 22 March 2012, 05:38
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

@ Cat8803:

I have also been to both, although it has been a few years since I have been to the VIM. SSS has changed a bit over the last few months, more pool activities and the crowd has become younger. I see you don't mind that sort of thing so I would recommend SSS based on food and service over the VIM.

If you were looking for a romantic get away I would recommend VIM over SSS do to the recent changes at the resort.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

I would never go to SSS for simple reason, no resorts should have been build IMO in that area, this area is more suitable for scuba diving, snorkling and fishing. I had never stayed at SSS, but stayed at other Secrets and IMO there is virtually no difference in food or service between Secrets resorts and VIM.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

We stayed at SSS 2 years ago before they built up the beach. The service was poor in comparison to the other Secrets Properties and we were very disappointed with that. The water in front of the resort was full of rocks. There was virtually no place to go in and not cut up your feet. The water was also murky. I don't know what it looks like now since we have not been back and probably won't return.

SSS is only a couple of miles away from ERC. We took a tour of that resort and the beach did not impress. It was very crowded. Lot's of palapas but crowded.

We are headed to the VIM in 7 days. Hope to be able to compare after that. It was either VIM or CRT this trip. The travel agent suggested VIM based on value for the price: nicer overall rooms, more to do and nice beach and pool.

Hope that helps.

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

Here are somepictures of the new beach improvements at SSS. These were taken in January and as you can see by the photos, comments made by anyone prior to the improvements are no long valid:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

ZetababePa

I am sure you made the right choice. Valentin is more upscale that CRT.

Matter of fact I think Valentin is on same level as Secrets, if not better.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
483 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

Traveled to both on the same trip and divided our stay. Really enjoyed both for different reasons. If we had to pick our favorite of the 2, it is VIM. We have recommended VIM to many family and friends. Most recently, eight good friends returned from VIM in January (2012). They thought it was perfect for their "group of neighbors". They went with a little push from us on how nice it is. It sounds like it is even better than when we had the pleasure of staying at this resort. Sure hope we can get a return trip in this year.

Go and enjoy whichever resort you choose. You will have a wonderful time at either one.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SSS vs Valentin Imperial Maya???

Thanks for your feedback!