We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Maumee, OH
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

Catching a lot of flack from friends when I mention we are going to SSS for a week. They all say the same thing......safety and crime and drug cartels but I'm not seeing anything on the threads from the forum or reviews anybody got anything to say??? This will be our third year in a row to Mexico and I have never had one hint of a problem. Am I concerned for no reason??

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

yes. Frankly my concern is the kind of people you hang around with.

Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

I am British and live in Playa del carmen just down the road i live here with my wife and 2 year old son.

We visit Puerto Morelos regularly and there are no problems it is safe but like anywhere else in the world just don't wander around flashing money around.

connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

It's safe. I hear the same thing too. I never felt safer in a foreign country (okay maybe Canada). Most of the drug stuff is on the border towns. PM is a nice little village!

Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Forgot to say when your on the main square looking toward the beach there's is a lovely little bar on the right :-) go there all the time.

Seattle
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Here's a great article to show your friends.

huffingtonpost.ca/douglas-anthony-cooper/can…

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,122 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

tell them to go where crime is worse

Florida, LA, Texas, Washington

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
601 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

The borders are the dangerous parts. I live closer to the US/Mex border here in the US, than I when I am in the Cancun area. So, I probably am in more danger here, where I live in the US. I live in what is considered 'Americas safest city.' (Look it up, if you don't believe me, use my hometown from my profile.) I feel safer in Cancun, than I do in my own city. None of these resorts would be in business, if people got killed visiting them. Hurricanes, swine flu and violence are all hyped by the media. I was actually in Mexico, during the 'swine flu epidemic' a few years back. What a joke. Go, travel, have fun, no worries.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

VSD - probably Maumee has a little crime too!

Terry - you've been visiting for a few years and felt, observed no problems. You have the experience firsthand! Especially in the smaller, more "rural" areas. Cancun: all large world cities have problems. Most are not where tourists tour.

jayess
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety

any place large enough to be called a city has major crime and any place in the world can have problems, but PM is a nice place that you can walk home at midnight and feel safe and relaxed, I am from Mississippi and I can't do that anywhere near here, go and enjoy, your friends are the ones who's on the losing end

Level Contributor
88 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety

They are trying to keep tourism in the states. We have never had any problems.