We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Coral vs Dreams Riviera Cancun - Family of 4

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
485 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Coral vs Dreams Riviera Cancun - Family of 4

Considering these two resorts for our Easter break vacation next year. We have been to Riviera Maya once before staying at the Barcelo Maya Palace. Our boys are ages 6 and 12, and looking for a resort with fun activities for our boys. There is a great deal at the Ocean Coral, and wondering how it compares to Dreams. The one activity we didn't do last time we were here was going to Chitza and Coba ruins (We did go to Tulum as well as the eco parks). Our priorities our beach, food, kids clubs/activities.

Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Coral vs Dreams Riviera Cancun - Family of 4

First thing I would check is if either resort books "spring breakers" and avoid that like the plague, you don't want your little ones around that sort of scene!

Canada
Level Contributor
464 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Coral vs Dreams Riviera Cancun - Family of 4

I've been to both - both are very nice. When we went to Ocean Coral we did not have children - so I didn't pay as close attention as I did while we were at Dreams.

Personally - I think Dreams would be better. From what I remember at OC is that the kids club as more geared towards younger children. The pictures are accurate - a sheltered building for crafts ect with a shallow pool close by. Dreams had a a cool trampoline, an iceburg climbing structure in one of the pools that the older kids spent hours on, movies on the beach, ice cream. Another big thing for us was the heated infinity pool at Dreams. We spent hours in there. They also had a kids section at the swim up bar. The rooms are beautiful, you can get a plunge pool room. It really is lovely. The only downside is that it is wedding central. And our plunge pool room was by the activity pool and we heard nightly reception music until 10. It didn't bother us - but I can imagine it does bother many.

Beach - essentially the same at both, they are pretty close together. Ocean Coral you could walk into the little fishing town. Pool - Dreams wins. Food - both were good....Dreams does not have a reservation system for a la cartes, 1st come 1st serve. Might be longer waits during Spring Break. Dreams has room service, I don't remember if OC does or not. Both have lovely little coffee shops. Rooms - both are nice. Both have washrooms that are styled to be more open.....I'm sure you've seen many pictures. I like the style, but again, not everyone does. The doors are frosted so you can't see in the toilet or shower. Both rooms have a modern flair to them. I'd say Dreams has a more whispy feeling to it, OC a little funky. Enjoyed both.

If I was going to one of them again I'd pick Dreams - the pool would be the deciding factor for me. Well.....depending on how the good the deal was at OC ; )

Iowa
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Coral vs Dreams Riviera Cancun - Family of 4

my son enjoyed his time at OCT he is 12. there was plenty to do for his age...and there is also a teen club the kids can go to for a while if they get to hot and tired of being out in the sun, in the teen club there are video games, etc. the activities staff does a great job with pool activities too, they have balls you can get at the towel hut to use to play with in the pool too. its nice having the 4 pools so lots of options for what your family likes to do. my son met some kids about his age and made friends and had fun every day in the pool with them. the shows at night are fun as well. the only thing I didn't like about OCT is there bathroom layout. not much privacy when you get out of the shower- basically no doors on the bathroom. so for me the rooms were a turn off.

New York
Level Contributor
485 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Coral vs Dreams Riviera Cancun - Family of 4

Thanks so much for your response. I read a lot about the seagrass in the water and lack of snorkeling off the beach. Do you see this as an issue?

Iowa
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Coral vs Dreams Riviera Cancun - Family of 4

again when we were there the ocean was a bit murky and lots of sea grass and liter along the beach. the oct staff did do a nice job trying to stay on top of cleaning that up, but its mother nautre and just plain impossible to keep it 100% free at all times. there is great snorkling tours if you go into town of puerto morales and take a tour out to the reef. but snorkling right off the beach- not the best. we actually are going to cozumel next month....trying something new this trip!

Washington DC...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Coral vs Dreams Riviera Cancun - Family of 4

Did ou pick OC, how was your experience? We are planning to go in December, I am little concerned about sea weeds and murky waters

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Coral vs Dreams Riviera Cancun - Family of 4

I've been to a few Dreams and the kids club is one of their high points and their specialty. They do it great and I have seen a better kids club yet. I would have no problem with the Dreams, but the Ocean may be cheaper, but I also love that the dreams has no towel cards, no bracelets, no reservations and a great kids club (did I already say that..lol).

I would caution thought that the Ocean may not be up to Barcelo Palace standards while the Dreams would compare.

Good luck")

8. Re: Ocean Coral vs Dreams Riviera Cancun - Family of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 20:20