We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secret Silversands

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lubbock
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Secret Silversands

Posted this in the Cancun forum but thought I would ask here too.

Thanks!

My wife and I decided to make a last minute trip to the Cancun area in ten days. We just want to get away and relax.

We have been to Cancun and the Riveria Maya numerous times. The last two times we stayed at the Royal and Le Blanc.

Do to poor planning on our part, there are few options options available within our budget for our upcoming trip. We are currently booked t Secrets Silver Sands which looks like a nice resort and good value.

Our concern is all the negative comments regarding the beach. The beach area definitely does not look up to par with our resorts we have stayed at in the past. We will probably spend at least 6 hours a day on the beach and te rest by the pool.

Our question is, would we be better off changing to Aqua Live, Sun Palance, Riu Palace Las Americas or something else? Aqua and the Sun Palace would add about 400 total to our vacation package. We would clearly expect something special for that upgrade.

Also, we were trying to stay relatively close to the airport as we have arrive late and depart early.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secret Silversands

Here are some recent beach pictures to help you make your decision:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secret Silversands

It's not the beach that is bad, it"s the entrance to the water that is rocky....the beach itself is white sand and lots of it

West Mifflin...
Level Contributor
341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Secret Silversands

Redraider...as 5stArs said beach is fine ocean swimming not so much. Beach entrance in to the water rocks and coral. So that's really the issue. Was there last year and heading back this coming Thursday so obviously we liked our stay. One positive thing that I never heard anybody mention about the coral is the fact there isn't any motor sports in the area. It was nice to be on the beach without the constant drone of jet skis and para sailing boats. Not to offend jet skiers and para sailers!!! Lol

Lubbock
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secret Silversands

So swimming in the ocean is an issue??? That is important to us.

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secret Silversands

@ redraidermba :

Swimming in the ocean is not an issue, getting out far enough so you can swim is the issue. If swimming is a big part of your vacation, this resort is not ideal. Secrets Maroma Beach would be better as they have a beautiful beach.

@megadave:

No motorized sports in the area is correct as it is a protected area as far south as the south end of the town of Puerto Morelos.

West Mifflin...
Level Contributor
341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Secret Silversands

Red...I do know that a 5 minute walk to the left of the resort there are some areas with sandy bottoms where you can get into the ocean no problem. If you like to get in and out of the water a lot I wod not suggest SSS. 5 stars is right Maroma is know for its beach but will be a steep price difference.

I must say it is nice to just hear the ocean and not the motor sports. Another thing I found I actually liked about the ocean at SSS it has more character then other resorts. We had and will have oceanfront and there always seemed to be some wild life going on out there

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secret Silversands

We were at SSS before they did the beach. The beach is gorgeous now but they really can't do anything about the water.

Don't know what the prices are like now but we were at Valentin in April. Very nice beach but you do have to walk about 50 feet towards the north to go into the water. It's beautiful blue with a sandy bottom there.

Excellence Playa Mujeres is on my list. Looks like that is nice. The Catalonia Playa Maroma Privilege beach sits right next to SMB. They share the same beach but a step down in luxury.

I'm really thinking about the new Secrets Property in Cancun that's due to open. Looks fabulous and I can't wait!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secret Silversands

The beach is way better than it was a year ago and yes the ocean has rocks in it but as has been said there is not a lot the resort can do about that

Feel free to check out my recent photo album on it

travel.webshots.com/album/582930908rVAgWk

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secret Silversands

The problem with the new Secrets Property in Cancun is just that...it's in Cancun...lol

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secret Silversands

I agree with Stars about The Vines as far as the locations goes. That apart although it looks very nice in the inside the outside looks yuck to me