We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricances??

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
fermanagh
Level Contributor
209 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricances??

Does anyone know if there are any forthcoming Hurricanes or Hurricane warnings in place for Cancun/Puerto Morelos in July?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricances??

According to the National Hurricane Centre, there's a 30-50% potential for something to develop over the Yucatan in the next 48 hours. Tropical Storm Chris is also kicking around the Atlantic but it looks to me like it's way too far north to be a threat to Mexico.

Here's a link to the NHC's website where you can keep up to date on these sorts of things - http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricances??

July is a little far off but you can check the radar at www.weatherunderground.com for more information.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricances??

Oh, I missed the part in the OP about July.

Sorry Irish, unless you're talking early July (i.e. next week) that's WAAAAAAAAAY too far off to predict. Tropical storms and hurricanes tend to be quite slow moving but not THAT slow!

Edited: 21 June 2012, 13:41
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricances??

Have no fear , the last time Cancun was hit by a hurricane in July was back in 1887.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g150807-c15372/Canc…

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricances??

Hurricane warnings normally do not get issued until inside of a week of their arrival, sometime not until days as they veer off sometimes.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
601 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricances??

We were there about 2 or 3 years ago after a hurricane hit. (I THINK it was Ida). Anyway, they were at 'business as usual' within 24 hours of it. Although, it was very weak and not a direct hit. Needless to say, as long as you have something to cover the top of your beer cup, you'll be fine.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricances??

As Lisa stated, The National Hurricane Center website is good, but I also find their Facebook app to be very up to date as well.

8. Re: Hurricances??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 05:16