We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daughter about to book EDR for her 2013 wedding-questions!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Daughter about to book EDR for her 2013 wedding-questions!

Hi all, our daughter has chosen the EDR for her fall 2013 destination wedding. I haven't spent time yet on the site or looked at the TA reviews yet but would love some opinions from other baby-boomer travelers there.

Is it primarily an AI for the 20s and 30s crowd?

Do they have water sport boats like sailboats and kayaks?

Is there much entertainment at night with dancing?

Can you fit a third person in your room if needed? (We may need to share space with our son if finances get too tight for him)

Any comments from those of you have done or attended a wedding there?

All comments gratefully appreciated, thanks!

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daughter about to book EDR for her 2013 wedding-questions!

I actually was married at EDR in 2006. I have only been back one other time and that was in 2007 so I am sure things have changed drasticly so I may not be much help but figured i would respond anyway. LOL

Its not a younger crowd. It pretty mixed from 20's to 60's and older. I does vary depending on how many wedding there are. The more weddings the chance there may be a few more younger people. But for the most part its going to be a mix.

They do have some water sports. Again this is based off my time back in 2006 and 2007 so I really cant guess if its changed but the had parasailing snorkle etc.

The night life they have a swing bar where the shows are and live music and dancing and of all the AI's Ive been to over the last 6 years this had the most lively night life.

Yes you can fit more then 2 people in the rooms. You can get room with two beds or you can ask for an extra roll away bed.

Our wedding was outstanding. They really did help plan everything and while there was a lot of worrying about if they would pull it off they did a super job.

I am sure things have changed over the years and hopefully people who have been there more recently can chime in but i figured i would through out what little i know. : )

If there is anything i can help with PM me and i will do my best to help.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daughter about to book EDR for her 2013 wedding-questions!

Thanks, I may be in touch depending on how many responses I get here. I am not finding their website to be the most informative of the AI websites so I may have more questions!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daughter about to book EDR for her 2013 wedding-questions!

Here are a couple of links that might be useful - this thread talks about a local wedding planner (although I suspect the resort has their own):

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k438979…

And this one talks about resorts that are outside-vendor friendly:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k468432…

Boston
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daughter about to book EDR for her 2013 wedding-questions!

Thanks Llisa, I appreciate this. I think my daughter has already talked with the resorts wedding planner but I'll see what she says.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daughter about to book EDR for her 2013 wedding-questions!

Hi Karrie,

Kaliman is correct about the mix of age groups. The K Team are are very good at getting people involved in the fun activities at the resort regardless of age!

For activities that are part of the AI there are kayaks and paddleboats, a great bike tour that takes you all around the resort plus water/beach volleyball, water polo, beach soccer, archery, salsa lessons, cooking lessons etc, so lots of things to choose from. There is para-sailing and horseback/camel rides on the resort for a fee, as well as ceramic painting that is great should there be inclement weather.

They have renovated Guacamays bar so it's much larger with a bigger stage for the nightime shows with lots of variety and a large dance floor.

I have seen many weddings performed at the resort and from the reviews I have read, a great experience for most.

Have a great time!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daughter about to book EDR for her 2013 wedding-questions!

Thanks Holababy. We were hoping for sailboats which they don't seem to have but maybe we can book a catamaran trip. Salsa lessons sound cool though!

7. Re: Daughter about to book EDR for her 2013 wedding-questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:15