We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Topic
ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to Cancun on the 15 Aug, staying at The Beloved Hotel for the first 3 nights in a RTT, then transfering over to the ERC resort for a further 7 nights.

This time of year seems very popular and in order to get an excellence club swim up room for 5/7 days (EPM was out as it's fully booked), we're having to mess about with changing rooms twice. Probably sounds nuts to some, but we love just being able to wave at the lovely bar staff from OUR loungers to get a refill. Also, not having to worry about shade/rest room proximity or your valuables is pretty cool too.

For the 2 nights we have to vacate our swim up room, we've booked an EC junior suite. However, I'm not liking the possibility that we may get two queen beds, at all. So unless we want to risk it, our options are basically a honeymoon suite or an imperial suite.

I'm a bit confused about the honeymoon suite. The website picture makes it look like it's on a high floor, but pictures that flip flop man has posted after a stay last year(?) suggest it's a swim -up (that would be great).

Are the perks with the imperial suite worth it? I can't seem to find many comments from people who've stayed in one e.g. the wine cellar dinner sounds nice, a day pass to balam ha would be great (but probably not part of the offer), but as far as the other resorts go, it seems like a non-perk as we're coming from The Beloved anyway, we've been to EPM and I don't think EPC is an option ;-). Would be nice if they payed some of our transfers too, but again, as we're not staying in the suite for the whole week, they probably won't :-(

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,441 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

Personally, I would not up and move again after you get to ERC even although it is at the same resort

They have 4 honeymoon suites at ERC - one is a swim up but not all that private due to it corner location and the one of the top has a RTT with another 2 in between

To be honest I am not sure if the have any twin bedded rooms in the EC at ERC - they certainly do not at EPM so you may be worrying about something that will not be a problem

They have two Imperial Suites - one is a swim up and the other is top floor. They have upped their game on what the Imperial Suites perks are so you may want to e_mail the resort and ask for exactly what is now included. I know they have added such things as unpacking, packing, some ironing, mobile phone and iPad for use when you are there. Cocktail kit of the day, etc, etc - you can also have a waiter to make and serve you drinks in your room for so long each day as well. as I say e_mail them and ask the bed types in the EC rooms and also what the full upgrade package includes

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

Thanks FFM,

My concern relates to a recent review posted by someone who was very unhappy about getting queen beds in the club area, when they presumed they'd booked a king room. In fairness to the resort, (and as was pointed out to me last night on the forum), their 'factsheet' does indeed state double/king bed for the lowest category club room. My fault for not noticing when I booked last week.

What would make me cross (and perhaps this happened to the unhappy couple) is that some agents e.g. Thomson in the UK, state that this room comes with a king bed - well SOME do, but not all.

Anyway, as you suggest, I'll email the resort about alternatives.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,441 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

Glad I could help

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

Oddly enough the fact sheet says that the non-EC Ocean view rooms are all King beds. Those rooms are in Building 7, I think, which is right near the EC Pool, Lounge, etc. To ensure you get a King I'd ask them to change you into one of those rooms whilst keeping the club privileges.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,441 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

Then again Chief the view is not as good in #7

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

Well, heck, go for the Imperial, then ... it's not my money!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

we're going to take our chances and hope for a room with King bed and figure it out down there if it isn't. Hopefully not full capacity in September.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

lol Chief58. The EC Junior Suite we've booked is $414/night in Sept and to upgrade to Imperial Suite is another $608 a night. Yikes!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

NoSnow77 - that's probably going to be my husband's plan too. However..... he's on his way back from a 2-day business trip to Budapest (Four Seasons Gresham Palace; must get him to take me next time lol)....and he's missed me. Awww! Perhaps I should convert this break point! Gosh, I miss Wimbledon. Roll on the Olympics ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Florida
Level Contributor
97 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ERC - thinking of a 2-night room upgrade. Any advice?

I saw the same review that said all beds were not king. I emailed them at erc to request a king bed and the woman said she had already requested it for me. Perhaps try emailing the staff.