We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best booking for ERC?

ny
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best booking for ERC?

I am ready to book ERC for October and have spent hours looking at a dozen plus sites for rates and pretty much every site has the same price, which is also the same price as booking through the resort directly. Any upgrades are also priced identically. Is this normal for this resort and should I just quit searching? Should I hold off and hope for a fall sale? I am not looking for airfare, but I would be willing to package a rental car. Thanks for any advice.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best booking for ERC?

IMO, that's how they roll. The difference in package rates among travel sites comes from the airfare part of the package. If you are not including airfare you will be hard pressed to find a difference.

ny
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best booking for ERC?

Okay, thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best booking for ERC?

You can book with the hotel, and cancel if a deal comes up later.

Florida
Level Contributor
86 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best booking for ERC?

At the time of our booking to ERC, cheapcarribean had a much better deal than the hotel website for room alone and room plus flight. Plus you can link to cheap carribean through ebates and get 2.5% cash back.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best booking for ERC?

We booked hotel only direct with Excellence for our September trip to ERC. They have 30% off their full-price rates for September, just checked October and it's the same. I'm not sure if you'll see the rates drop but as MHEATH stated you can book to lock in the rates today and if the price drops then you can always get the lower price. We did this in fact last year when we went to Excellence Punta Cana.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best booking for ERC?

Flight prices can vary widely from day to day - hundreds of dollars one way, depending on the day. So I book accordingly. It might save me a lot of money to go for 6 nights, rather than 7, or it might be worthwhile to book for 9 nights, because it costs me very little more than 7. That sort of thing.

And then, if I find a bargain somewhere, I can cancel, and take the bargain. But I like the flexibility of booking direct. It also allows me to pick the best flight times. I don't like 6am flights. You have to get up too early, and the first day is wasted because you're tired. I don't like late flights, because you lose the whole day. A 9 or 10am flight, getting in early afternoon is perfect. It still leaves much of the day, without being exhausted. Same idea for the return flight. I like to be able to enjoy a nice breakfast, and part of the morning, go back to the room and pack, etc. It makes the most use of the days you're paying for.

ny
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best booking for ERC?

cheapcarribean is actually a few dollars more that booking direct right now...geez! I think I probably should just book with the resort to ensure availability and take it from there, but I keep waffling on the dates do to flights(trying to use ff miles from USAir...virtually impossible!)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best booking for ERC?

Another benefit of booking direct with the resort is that your room requests tend to be honored. I think when going through a tour operator, the hotel doesn't necessarily get them.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best booking for ERC?

MHEATH - both Air Canada and Westjet have great departure times from Toronto and Cancun - arriving in Cancun at 11AM and departing Cancun at noon. And they fly 7 days a week so you can put together a trip duration that you want. I just looked and Westjet has one way fares from $199 (plus taxes and fees) in September.

We're travelling through Toronto next month and staying at ERC for 10 days which is perfect for us.

10. Re: Best booking for ERC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 08:18