We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly fish and water clarity in December??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly fish and water clarity in December??

We are at Dreams RC first week of December, our family loves to swim in the ocean. Can you let me know if we should expect jelly fish or bad water clarity? I have been trying to research it, but haven't found a good repsonse. Is it just certain times of year? Been to Mayan and Cancun in December and the water has been amazing.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
413 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jelly fish and water clarity in December??

You should not have jelly fish that time of year. The water clarity depends on the wind and wind direction which effects the wave height. That also should be fine in December but you never know.

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
644 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jelly fish and water clarity in December??

I have been to the area in early Dec. many times, best time to go IMHO, and always had great weather and no issues with clarity. I have never seen a jellyfish ever in all of my trips there and snorkel and dive often. Have fun, make sure you wander up and down 5th ave in the evenings, sometimes there are groups of children caroling etc. and the resort SB decorated nicely!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jelly fish and water clarity in December??

Last December there were a few experiences with jelly fish in the waters near town. Kind of looks and sounds like someone screaming out of the water rubbing where it hurts. I was stung as well. It hurts!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jelly fish and water clarity in December??

Well, it's the ocean so we will hope for the best. What happened to you when you were stung? Other than painful.

Seattle
Level Contributor
106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jelly fish and water clarity in December??

I have been to Puerto Morelos 2-3 times a year for the last 8 years. We snorkel a lot every time we go. On only one trip there were a lot of thimble jelly fish. They're tiny and sting a little bit. It leaves a little red mark on your skin, but it seems like it went away after about 24 hours. I've never seen or been stung by any other jelly fish.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,260 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jelly fish and water clarity in December??

Vineger is the quick cure - we keep some in our snorkel bag

Jelly fish may be around starting April/ not December

You will be fine

7. Re: Jelly fish and water clarity in December??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2013, 10:17