We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Coral Turqesa with kids..El cid..other ideas?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
867 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Coral Turqesa with kids..El cid..other ideas?

I'm looking for a resort for spring break with kids (7 & 10 ) -- I'm having such a hard time. This is our first time bringing our kids-- I wanted to find a resort not totally full of kids but something with a mix for kids and adults. We wanted a big pool with shade available , good food with variety, not a super huge resort. I like the looks of El Cid but when I look at the pictures- where is the shade by the pool? I see tables with umbrellas (seems weird to have tables) and maybe a few others around the pool - can anyone comment on that? How about Ocean Coral & Turquesa with kids? Looks nice other than the beach.

Other resorts in our range our the Riu's in Cancun - we have been to many but not sure how many other kids will be around. I fell in love with Fiesta Americana Condesa in Cancun but found out the buffet is really small and variety is limited which would be deal breaker. Barcelo complex is on the list -- a little far south.

Thanks!

west michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Coral Turqesa with kids..El cid..other ideas?

We were just at El Cid last week and had a great time with our 10 and 8 year old. I sat in the shade at the pool-there are areas where the trees give shade. What we loved about the resort was the fact that it was small and quiet - really geared toward families.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
867 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Coral Turqesa with kids..El cid..other ideas?

Thanks ! We have family that have stayed at this resort in the past --and overall have liked it but said its soo hard to get chairs during spring break you have to get up at the break of dawn and even then most are reserved by the pool let alone get shade. I know that this happens a lot regardless of where you stay so maybe that shouldn't be a deciding factor but the thought of having to get up so early is daunting. Thanks for your feedback! I see your from west Michigan too!

Syracuse, Utah
Level Contributor
230 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Coral Turqesa with kids..El cid..other ideas?

We took 5 kids to OCT in October. We mostly hung out at the activity pool & loved it!! There are umbrellas all along the pool so shade isn't a problem. As far as food breakfast and lunch are pretty much the same everyday (buffets with a little variation day to day), but dinner was fabulous!! We tried all of the ala cartes and loved every single one!! Hands down the best food I have ever had at an AI!!

United States
Level Contributor
326 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Coral Turqesa with kids..El cid..other ideas?

From what I have read about the El Cid, the towel/chair game is alive and well, just like at every other resort in RM during Spring Break. We are staying there in March with our two kids (10, 12). We are going with the Platinum upgrade so that we can reserve chairs under a palapa on the beach each day. We will drag those chairs up to the pool if there is nowhere to sit. I paid a LOT of money to stay here and I refuse to get up at 6 am on vacation just to get a chair by the pool.

Spring Grove
Level Contributor
130 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Coral Turqesa with kids..El cid..other ideas?

We will also be there at the end of March for spring break. We chose the el cid because of price and distance from the airport. Last year we stayed at the Barcelo palace and loved it, but it was realy expensive this year. I am looking forward to the el cid because it is a smaller resort and relatively close to town. Maybe we will see you there. :)

sw michigan
Level Contributor
294 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Coral Turqesa with kids..El cid..other ideas?

I've been to both resorts and I would not return to either of them during Spring Break-but not for the reasons already mentioned. We loved El Cid, but the lack of a snack bar was a huge inconvenience with kids. OCT was fabulous, but it only has 1 buffet restaurant. If the resort is anywhere near capacity, breakfast and lunch would probably be a nightmare. Also, OCT only has 1 outdoor bar; insufficient given the size of the resort.

7. Re: Ocean Coral Turqesa with kids..El cid..other ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 10:15