We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

new hampshire
Level Contributor
416 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

Hi there just wondering if there is a little town to do some shopping when we go to Secrets SS? and how far to the town? any recommendations for shops? Thanks alot!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

PM is an incredibly quaint and picturesque town. THere is a row of various stores that have great crafts and typical souvenirs that is about a block's walk to the right(ocean facing)on the same street as the quaint Catholic Church. If you are standing outside the church facing the ocean, you would walk to your right.

We absolutely loved visiting PM. It is not touristy or crowded at all. The beach is gorgeous there and there are a handful of restaurants.

Re getting there by cab from SSS.....that I don't know. We went from Now Jade by cab and it was about$6 each way, but that was in 2010.

If you pm me your email addie, I can send you some pics.

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

SSS is 3 miles north of the town square. Taxi is 200-250 pesos each way. (Some drivers negotiate.)

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

*Morelos

Arkansas
Level Contributor
154 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

Now Jade offered a free bike tour to the town, which I loved! I would check and see if SSS has one!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

Saw the bike tour last Sunday

Good to know

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

As mentioned, there are several artisian shops with great prices. I never "negotiated" a price there and I don't know if that's expected. The prices were so low and the workmanship beautiful that I was getting a good deal from the start. English is spoken and I really enjoyed taking my time and talking to the people there. I purchased some inexpensive, beautiful jewelry items from John, (who lived in Indiana at one time). Ask for him, his shop is in the center. The man at the shoe/leather shop is very nice as well, and a wealth of info. Have fun!

illinois
Level Contributor
177 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

We will be staying at RIU PALACE MEXICO. How far is it from there to Puerto Morelos?

Have never been to that area before and would like to try going down there .

Thanks

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

Ditto to Tulu...and also thanks to Mr. Boo recommending Abraham, I found his shop and bought a beauitufl hand painted tile for 300 pesos. Thanks Mr. Boo! :-)

Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

My Pleasure WIBS. I'm glad you found him.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Morelas does it have a town with shopping??

There's a great and ever growing market down the street the Oxxo is on the corner of. Head the other direction and there's a great art shop. Plaza is surrounded by tourist shopping... There used be a great silver shop on the corner of the plaza but was there a few months ago and it's gone.. along with a few of my favourite restaurants! PM is changing fast....