We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

We were there back in 2011 and are looking to head back this year in late Apr. We had a great ocean front room and really enjoyed the restaurants etc. We have been to the Grand Iberostar prior and still thought this hotel was a great deal. I would like to know if it is as good as it was 2 years ago. We would upgrade and get ocean front etc. Am hoping it is still as nice as some of the reviews. Any info would be appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

I think you should trust the reviews. I was there a little over a year ago, for the fifth time, and it was terrific. It was our best experience there yet. It's hard to imagine it diminishing significantly in a year.

Mark

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,783 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

Like Mark we have been several times and have booked to go back again this year in June

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

We went in 2010 and then again in Sept 2012. Had a great time and would definitely return. We went to the Iberostar Grand in Feb/12 and were very disappointed.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

We are headed there for our third visit on the 6th of Feb., our 8th trip to Mexico. We feel that ERC is the most comprehensive resort. and you have the best bang for your buck. Close to the airport, lots of bars and dining choices both indoors and outside, good beach with white sand that you can walk and walk, decent well appointed rooms, variety of entertainment throughout the resort throughout the day, wonderful staff and a lovely laid back unpretentious relaxing atmosphere.

Boston
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

NoSnow77, why were you disappointed with the Iberostar Grand? We are going there in mid-May and have heard wonderful thinks about them. We stayed at their sister property in Punta Cana last May and met people who have stayed at both properties, and said that they thought the Grand in the Mayan Riviera was better. From what we saw in Punta Cana I find that hard to believe.

Have stayed at the ERC a couple of times and really liked it. The reason we are not thinking of going back is because they didn't have a dinner buffet, which we prefer over ala carte menus.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

Hi Caribe - I had written a review after our trip to the Grand and you can check that out. Overall we thought the food and service quality was lacking. The resort was huge (even the Grand part of the overall complex), and no outside bars for sitting, enjoying a night. The rooms were incredible though, we stayed in an oceanfront suite.

We preferred the smaller, more intimate ERC, with no restaurant reservations and Cafe Kafe to enjoy during / after the show.

Boston
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

Thanx for your response, NoSnow77.

We stayed "next door" in the Iberostar Paraiso Beach 10 yrs. ago. At that time they were still constructing the Lindo, and the Maya wasn't "in their plans".

I agree with you about restaurant reservations - they are a "bummer"; that is partly why we don't like them, also the smaller portions that they serve and you have to keep asking for more (if you want more). Also, we are not drinkers (well, I like to have 2 or 3 a day), so the outside bar situation does not bother us.

How long ago did you post your trip review? I would like to read it.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

Click on NoSnow77's name, then click Reviews. There are 4 of them.

Mark

Boston
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

Thanx, Mark. I figured that out AFTER my last post.

Waynesboro, PA
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need update on Excellence Riviera Cancun

We have been to ERC 10 times in the last 3.5 years and yes it is still as good as ever. We always stay at the Club Level and for the price the service is unbeatable. We like all the restaurants and think the food is very good for an all inclusive, but maybe it just suits our tastes. For us the best thing about ERC is the employees and how they treat their guests. Yes there has been changes in management and employees coming and going, but the level of service and commitment to please their guests is still their number one priority.