We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

Going to ERC in a little over a week and I love to read while my feet are in the sand. What is everybody reading these days? Can you recommend a good book?

Edited: 29 January 2013, 05:14
Boston
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

I'm jumping in on this thread b/c I am also looking for some good beach reads. haven't read any adult books I've really like lately....

UK
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

Hi - we're going to be there from Thursday this week!!!

I'm taking 'The time traveller's wife' - a brilliant read and a couple of books by Frances Fyfield - (murder mysteries) Happy reading!!

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

Last month, while on the beach, I read 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It was very well researched and a good read if you like the type of book he writes. I loved it.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
103 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

I joined the crowd and bought a Kindle so I could bring a whole library with me to the beach. Then I got to thinking that blowing sand was probably not a good thing for electronics. Drat.

So I bring a couple of paperback short story anthologies along. I can read one in the time I am at the beach with no loose ends to remember for the next day. And I can leave the paperbacks behind for someone else to enjoy when I leave and lighten my suitcase.

Two of my favorite authors of short stories are Roald Dahl and Ambrose Bierce, bless their twisted little souls.

Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
268 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

I've been bringing my eReader to the beach for the past 5 years - I've never had any issues with sand, etc...

I just downloaded the new James Patterson books - will be reading those on my trip -

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

I use a cover for my kindle waterproof and sandproof and have no problem with it getting ruined.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

I've also had no problem using my Kobo ereader. I now have a cover for it, but a large ziploc would work too.

Because I have it, I have really enjoyed the 1st 2 books of the Ken Follett trilogy. "Fall of Giants" and "Winter of the World". They are HUGE books, and would be pretty well impossible to take in your luggage.

My all time favourite is "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. For me, the perfect beach read. Or anytime read for that matter.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

We are leaving soon also, I loaded up my kindle, but could not resist reading Secret Daugher by Shilpi Somaya, also Best Friends Forever, by Jennifer Weiner Both are Excellent!!! I have to read Silent Witness , by Richard North patterson, Between Sisters by Kristen Hannah , Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, I love to read really good books , hopefully you will enjoy also Sail by James Paterson is fabulous, last v-k I read Stephen Kings 11/23/63, another Great Read! Happy Teavels

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
320 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

I'm not a big reader, but I've been reading all of the Chelsea Handlers books. Nothing like laughing out loud while your sitting on the beach

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are you reading while at the beach? Recommendations?

NewHampshire O , I too, loved "Secret Daughter". Another one that intrigued me was "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton.

Love vacation reading! Lovely that I can start a book and don't have to be interrupted by such inane things as preparing meals, doing laundry, etc.

Have a great holiday everyone!