We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any scams using credit cards in PM? - Beware of the 7-11

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

After a wonderful month in Puerto Morelos I have just called my credit card company to challenge a bogus charge by the Seven-Eleven (next to the Pemex gas station @ highway). I also urged them to examine if this is happening to other customers as regular scam operation. Indeed I purchased $49.30 worth of stuff, but right after that came an extra bogus charge for $7.78 – Beware!

For context, I don’t use my credit card much while traveling in Mexico but did use it once at John Grays Kitchen and repeatedly at Martin’s grocery store with zero problems. Anyone else had similar problems? Sharing this type of information will help clean up the system and to alert other travelers.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

It really dosen't matter where you are in this fine world. The cloning of Personal data off Credit Cards is rampant. Especially in the US. My card was cloned in Destin, Florida for a charge in Milan Italy. Its not just a Mexico problem. Thanks for sharing the info however.

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

Right you are! Nonetheless, for those of us with a special interest in Puerto Morelos I think it would be helpful if we share information that would help identify the local trouble spots.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,825 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

Agree with Dan. And really I can't imagine a scam for $7.78. If they are going to use your credit card information, not likely for something that little. Its still good to be alert anywhere in the world, including the USA.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

Is that huge rip-off that in pesos or dollars??!! LMAO!!!

scotland
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

What these guys do sometimes is make a small purchase then go for the big one . Usually a small purchase isn't picked up and therefore the card is not reported. Well done in spotting and reporting it . Could have ended up a lot worse......

scotland
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

Whilst on the subject of cc fraud I've been going to Florida for the last 21 yrs and I've never understood why so many people let the waiter/waitress take their cc away to pay their bills ????? NEVER ever let that card out your sight . I've always took traveller checks to pay any restaurant bills. If they don't accept it ,to bad am washing their dishes for a week lol ..

west virginia
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

I agree with bigal66:

If the little one gets through, a big one is soon to follow.

A couple of years ago our VISA card came up with a mysterious $6 charge. We reported it and a couple of days later they tried a $900 charge. Visa refused it immediately.

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

Just wondering if the bogus charge could be the fee that some cards charge for using the card in a foreign country? We had an incident like this in Aruba a few years back. Every charge was followed by a small "bogus" charge. After complaining and not understanding what happened, we figured out it was the international fee:) We also figured out not to use our cards in foreign countries unless they don't charge a foreign transaction fee:)

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

Of course a bogus charge of US$7.78 is per se no big deal, which is precisely why they do it because it often goes unnoticed. In this case it was an extra 16 percent of the purchase.

Of course credit card scams occur everywhere. But the point of my inquiry was specifically about Puerto Morelos, thinking that if scams like this are happening at other establishments we would all benefit by sharing the information.

The good news is that nobody else reported such problem in Puerto Morelos!

JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any scams using credit cards in PM? – Beware of the 7-11

The small charge is how they get away with it. I had a call from credit card company to let me know I had a scam charge of $2 and they would take care of it. How they found it was a few people had called to complain and upon review they discovered their records had been hacked and thousands of customers got charged $2.