We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

new jersey
Level Contributor
334 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

I just sent the following letter to the management at Ocean Coral & Turquesa regarding needing more lounge chairs at the beach. The management has recently responded to many reviews on TA so they do appear to be reading TA reviews.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband and I I stayed at Ocean Coral & Turquesa this past November, 2012. We loved it and we will be returning this May 2013 for 9 days. I have one major concern and that is regarding scarcity of lounge chairs at the beach. EVERY SINGLE tripadvisor review of the hotel mentions that more loungechairs are needed at the beach. This is clearly a big problem. The management responses all talk about enforcing the policy of no saving of chairs. Why doesn't the hotel just buy more chairs and put them on the beach? That would solve the REAL problem. There is plenty of space on the beach for additional lounge chairs.

I am really looking frward to staying at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, but I am VERY nervous about the possibility of not having a place to sit on the beach every day. That would absolutely ruin our vacation.

Could you please respond and let me know what the management is doing to solve this very real problem. The problem is NOT caused by people saving chairs - the real problem is that there aren't enough chairs for the number of guests so people feel that they have to get up early to save spots. Having additional chairs would alleviate the need for people to worry about saving chairs.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

I agree with what you told managament in you letter. It is not a case of people saving chairs but, it is a case of not enough chairs to begin with. People save chairs at many of the resorts along the RM but, most resorts don't have the problem that OCT does. At other resorts, if you cannot find a chair where you would like to sit, you can get a chair and drag it where you want it. You cannot find an extra chair at the beach at OCT.

Two months after we were at OCT we were at EL Cid. In October we stayed at Iberostar Paraiso. At both of these resorts, shade was at a premium at the beach but, you could always find a chair. People saved chairs at these resorts. Even with the chair saving going on, you could always find a chair somewhere on the beach.

I can't wait to read the answer you get from OCT. Be sure to post it.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 20:04
Nebraska
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

Yes please do post their reply. We are going at the end of April with a group of 10. Of course we won't all be together all the time, but we are worried about having a place to sit based on the number of reviews commenting about the chair availability. A post mentioned you can request more chairs from the hotel if you can't find one. I'm wondering if anyone has done this, and do they bring more chairs out if requested?

We have also stayed at Iberostar and there we never had a problem finding a chair.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

LucyR,

While I did not request chairs from workers. I did go to the pool one day and bring two chairs down to the beach. This was before I knew workers would do it for you. I did see, many times each day, workers bringing chairs to the beach for people that requested them.

It seemed crazy to me that, even though the resort knew that they had to bring chairs out to the beach each day, the next day the same thing began over again. In the early morning there would be only the same limited amount of chairs on the beach. People would request a chair and a worker would bring the chair to the beach.

It seems to me, having watched this same thing day after day, there must be some extra chairs somewhere. Why not leave them on the beach? Crazy!

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

Is there also a problem with chairs at the pool areas, or is it just at the beach area? I have to agree-purchasing more chairs seems like a fairly inexpensive way to ensure guest satisfaction.

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

Could this be an answer to the towel game? If you have to request a chair by making contact with a staff member, you might be less likely to throw a towel on it and take off. Plus you can get it put where you want it unless someone is in the spot you choose?

new jersey
Level Contributor
334 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

I received the following response from a manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa. Note that she acknowledged the problem, and she said that they have ordered (but not yet received) additional lounge chairs. She gave me permission to share her response verbatim, so here it is:

We would like to acknowledge that we have receive your comments and concerns sent through our web site.

In regard to your communication, please allow us to inform that indeed, the situation with the beach and pool chairs has been aggravated by the reservation made by the guests.

As you have read in our responses to the Trip Advisor’s reviews, we do not encourage this situation, but the contrary. The towels used for reserving pool chairs are retired by the members of our staff after 2 hours if any guest is using it. In addition, we count with signals at the entirety of the pools, that help to alleviate this inconveniences.

Our resort counts with a complete stock of beach and pool chairs in order to cover the entirety of our guests; even so, we will like to inform you that we have bought a new stock of lounge chairs in order to aid this situation, nevertheless, by customs issues this stock has not being delivered to our resort.

We thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our resort.

We look forward your visit in May!

We remain at your disposal for any further assistance.

Warm regards,

Alexis Flores O.

Assistant Manager | Asistente de Dirección

new hampshire
Level Contributor
693 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

I will be there next year 2014 make a deal there still will not be chairs there in March LOL !!!!

new jersey
Level Contributor
334 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

Actually when I was there in May they had significantly increased the number of beach chairs by placing 4 around most of the palapas (where there had previously been 2). My husband and I are going back for a 3rd time soon to celebrate a birthday.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

Wow, placing four around each palapa is a significant increase. I'm glad that the management of OCT, FINALLY, figured out that they needed more chairs. It seemed for a while that no matter how many times this problem was called to their attention, management would not take any responsibility. It was always the fault of guests saving chairs according to them. However, there was not more chair saving going on at this resort than at any other resort where we have vacationed.

OCT is much too nice of a resort to have had this problem that is so easily solved.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 15:21
Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Letter to OCT management about more chairs at the beach

More palapas too would help