We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

GVD
Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

Do you have any recomendations as to what buildings to avoid and which ones are best for noise avoidance, etc.? What about what types of rooms are best for AI? Thanks. We are headed to El Cid June 17 - 23.

GVD
Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

ADDITION - my questions were about El Cid in the Riviera Maya.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

We just returned from the El Cid. Haven't had time to write a review. We were booked to stay 7 nights but moved to Playa after 3 nights because we did not like to resort. It is poorly designed and was a disappointment. Also, isolated. Only 1 km from town but I would not feel comfortable walking.

If you are set on staying here, I'd recommend building 14. It is on the far north end of the property and overlooks the beach and quiet area. I think we stayed in room 3431 on the 2nd floor. Nice view. The room was a nice suite but the bathrrom was REALLY dark. Some further toward the end of the building overlook dead mangroves and where they dump the dead sea grass.

FYI- The beach is awful. If you have an expectation of a Carribean beach like Playa or Cancun, you will be very disappointed. Also, Puerto Morelos is a true port and the shipping docks are on the beach between the El Cid and town. I don't think you can walk the beach to town.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions. Please post.

atlanta
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

To Cheeks100-

What was so bad about the beach? Rocks or seaweed? I have been a little concerned about the resort seeming so isolated. Does it look completely deserted there?

Harrisburg, North...
Level Contributor
170 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

GVD-

I heard the only building to stay away from is #17. We just had friends return from El Cid and loved it, it's not too busy yet so just try to request a different building. We leave tomorrow and are so excited, the trip is what you make of it and we are going with a positive attitude. I will let everyone know how it is when we get back next week. Its going to be awesome, have fun!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

Djewel-

The beach is very small, only the length of the built portion of the resort. There is the marina at one end and they built a jetty of rock at the other. They have built quite a few palapa huts for shade that are nice. The sand is relatively nice but there is a lot of seagrass. The resort has men cleaning it up for several hours a day but they chose to dump it either on the beach just to the north or somewhere on that property (you can see it from the north end of the resort). The water is not a clear, bright blue but looks more like what you get around Tampa, Florida. Once in the water, it is VERY ROCKY.

I wish you luck. We went for $99 per person per night and figured it couldn't be that bad. It just did not suit our taste. The resort is pretty isolated. The short walk to town is on dirt roads that were muddy and went past some pretty rough areas. As I said, I don't think you can walk to town on the beach due to the shipyard.

We LOVE Mexico. This was our second trip this year so I feel like we are fair judges. We switched to the New Riu Palace in Playacar for $20 pp/n more. The rooms weren't as nice. The service was different. The food, beach and landscaping were much better. Playa and Puerto Morelos are VERY different experiences so it just depends on your taste.

atlanta
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

Thanks so much for the info. I plan to take some water shoes for the ocean so maybe the rocks wont be quite so rocky! We leave for PM tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to a great time!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

I was wondering what the town is like? nice places to eat?

thanks

GVD
Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

We went and stayed in Building #14. It the ocean and overlooks the quiet area around the hot tub. Excellent location, did not get direct sun into the windows, so we could leave curtains open all the time. There are elevators, so don't mind upper floors.

9. Re: El Cid - which buildings and rooms are best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 08:19