We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

11 posts
Save Topic
Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

My husband and I are considering a brief getaway in November. Tryjng to decide between the Zoetry and Iberostar Grand Paraiso? I know the Iberostar is much larger but would welcome comments or suggestions that may help me decide. The quality of beach and access to golf is important to us as well as food.

Would welcome any thoughts - thank you in advance.

Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

I haven't been to Zoetry, but I can tell you the biggest difference is that the Iberostar Grand is adults-only, while Zoetry is not. However, I think the price point and amenities of the Zoetry keep most families away.

Another major difference is that Zoetry is an AMResorts property, which means no wristbands, no towel cards, and no reservations for dinner. Iberostar Grand has wristbands, but no towel cards, and you usually need to make a reservation for dinner. Some see the reservations as a plus, some do not. I don't know that anyone finds a benefit to towel cards, as long as towels are always available, but some think their use discourages the "towel game".

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

We visited Iberostar Grand Paraiso last year and out of the 20 or so resorts we have been to (all 5*) we enjoyed IGP best. We are golfers and that was one feature that drew us to the Grand. Service was great, food was great, accommodations were great and the lobby is very GRAND. Golf was included (green fees but not cart fee). The course was in great shape last year and I'm sure will be even better this year with it being the site of Big Break Mexico. They filmed it there in January. Food and Beverages are also included on the course.

Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

Cart was not free? Its supposed to and always has been for us. As a Grand guest the cart and round are supposed to be free.

11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

Thank you for the feedback! AnnaBandana, can you provide any feedback about the beach at IGP? We live in a landlocked state and love to swim in the ocean when we have a chance - so a nice beach is important to us (more so than the pool). Also, do you mind if I ask what other resorts you have visited in the area? Others you may recommend?

Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

We have been to both Zoetry and Iberostar Grand. Very Very different resorts.

The Grand is very big: 6+ restaurants (reservations req), Nightly entertainment/shows (if you can stay up that late). Two huge pools. An enormous beach with lovely white sand and big ocean waves (too scary to swim in, in my opinion). We stayed in one of the ocean front buildings and the view and room were spectacular. We found the personal butler service to be wonderful, but the service around the pool/beach to be lacking... had to seek out a server (this was in 2009, so not sure of current situation).

Zoetry is small (90 rooms) and quiet. Three restaurants and a lunch sushi bar. Small main pool, and wonderful Thalaso (salt water) pool by the spa. All the rooms are ocean front and lovely. The service by the pool and beach is amazing. Never have to look for someone to order a drink, water, snack. The resort is inside a coral reef, so the ocean is mostly calm, but can be a bit messy/weedy depending on the weather. They do allow kids, but charge full price, so there are usually not many unless there is a wedding party.

We prefer Zoetry because of the calm/quiet/low key ambiance. It also feels very authentic with Mexican architecture and feel. Iberostar is all marble and lovely, but could really be anywhere in the world. We also love the food and drinks at Zoetry (I am a margarita girl and Iberostar did not offer 'on the rocks' which I prefer- again as of 2009). We also like the fact that Zoetry is only 20 min from the airport and includes private transfer with sparkling wine!

We do not golf, so cannot really comment.... I know that there is golf very close to the Grand and that Zoetry offers golf outings (not sure how far away).

If you want a huge resort with shows/restaurants/marble go to the Grand. If you want quiet/peaceful and great service, go to Zoetry! As a good comparison : breakfast: Grand = huge buffet in lovely building with floor to ceiling windows; Zoetry = ala cart/made to order (no buffet) with indoor or outdoor seating and live harp music.

Both are amazing resorts, so you will love either one, I'm sure.

Have Fun,

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

We spent our 20th Anniversary at Zoetry and loved everything about it except for the Ocean in front of the Resort.We are considering going to IGP in the future,But it seems to modern for us.Maby not though,I will have to do a little more research on it..

11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

Is the area as such that you could walk to a nicer area of ocean and swim there instead?

11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

Also, any recommendations for resorts in the area with better beaches?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,078 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

If you want a resort on a great beach check out the likes of Secrets Maroma Beach

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,668 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zoetry vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso

no margarita on the rocks?!? Wow...that would take IBG right off my list !