We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Hello! We are a family of 7. 5 adults and 2 kids. I was just looking at the price to rent a van for a week and thought it might be worth the money. I am trying to figure out how much we'll spend on transportation vs renting a van for the week. We will be staying in the Puerto Morelos area and so we will want to go into Puerto Morelos a few times (I've seen it says its $9 taxi ride from the Ocean Coral to town... not sure if this is roundtrip, for one taxi or per person. We'll need roundtrip transfer for the airport. We'd also like to go see the ruins, snorkel and who know what else we'll see that we'll want to do. Without really searching for the best price, we've seen a van rental for $430 for the week. Also we will take into consideration that it might be convenient to be able to come and go when we want instead of having to wait for a ride. Time is money you know :)

What are your thoughts?

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

Mt suggestion is that you go with the rental van. With 7 of you it is always going to require 2 taxis. Taxis to or from OC&T are $250 pesos. The $9 rate you mentioned is an old rate before they had a drastic increase in resort taxi fares. So round trip to town for all 7 of you using 2 taxis would be $1,000 pesos or $80 usd. The flexibility of having a rental is well worth it in my opinion.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 17:51
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

Does that price include all insurance that you would need while driving a vehicle in Mexico?

Level Contributor
1,232 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

We are going to OCT on June 14th for 12 days. We have reserved a car with every insurance they offer in Mexico for $412. There is only two of us but the flexiblity is great with a vehicle. I would recommend that you rent one. With 7 people you either need to wait for a van taxi or take 2 plus usually you are charged for people over 2.

4. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 05:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now