We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

Olive Branch...
4 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

Hi, My husband and I will be in Puerto Morelos for 10 days in August. We love to snorkel, but I'm reading a lot about not being able to go to the reef on our own. We want to go for 4-8 hours a day and not pay a guide and not have time restrictions. Has anyone else done this in PM, Akumal, or Tulum?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

Akumal bay is easy on your own, just swim out from the beach.

You'd need your own boat at the minimum for PM because you're not swimming out to the reef there.

Olive Branch...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

Will anyone give me any problems about trying to go out on our own from any of those cities? We won't be starting from the public beach in PM. Thanks for the reply!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

No problems at Akumal or Tulum. Puerto Morelos reef is a protected aquatic park and as such you need to purchase a park pass.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g240327-c3537/Puerto-M…

Edited: 28 May 2013, 01:42
Canada
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

Guided trips by boat are offered to the reef. Snorkeling out to the reef from shore on your own is not permitted. To protect the reef against intentional and unintentional damage, you are only allowed onto the reef in the company of an accredited guide and wearing a life jacket. If you do go it alone, you risk being picked out of the water by park wardens who may just tell you off and take you back to the shore, but are within their rights to fine you. Note that these rules are not clearly signposted anywhere.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

There is good snorkeling in Puerto Morelos in a large roped off area in front of the Ojo de Agua hotel and apartment building. Coral, lots of fish, big barracuda, turtles, an Ojo on the bottom,... We take our own gear, and go on our own all the time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

If you snorkel the reef in Puerto Morelos you have to have a guide and pay because it's a reserve. You can snorkel without guides out to the reef in Akumal and enjoy the turtles on the way. I don't consider Tulum a snorkel destination. Maybe take a day trip to Cozumel and snorkel from shore. You can snorkel cenotes as well!

Level Contributor
163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

Jennifer D ..... I agree with BrendaMinisotta ...Look for the roped off area with the big bouys in front of Ojo De Aqua and snorkel right off the beach within the roped area only. It really is a great spot ! !!! You can go every day and see differnent fish ,rays, turtles,sooo may schools of baracuda's, lots of Angels, squid ... and I will continue to look for the sea horses. I know they are there because I have see photos. Hope I find them in 2014.

Good Luck and happy snorkelling.Don't forget your camera ! Send me your email and I'll send you a link of a 5 minute slideshow all taken right there n the roped off area.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
104 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

you can swim off the shore and not see that much

Its better to pay to be taken out to the reef

Also i think that there is a fee included for the national park conservation authorities

Olive Branch...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

Gypsy girl, I'd love to see the video you mentioned from PM offshore. My email is jdannatt@yahoo.com. Thank you!

10. Re: Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos without a guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 07:17