We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't Drink the Water?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
201 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Don't Drink the Water?

We will be landing in Cancun in 48 hours!!! We have been counting down for weeks and are so excited our time to travel is almost here! We have been to EPM in the past and this year we are headed to ERC. While at EPM we never left the resort. (Our stays were only a few days.) This trip we plan on going into Puerto Morales. We have read the reviews for the restaurants and look forward to partaking in some local food and beverage. Is there anything (food or beverage) we need to avoid? Would hate to become ill during our stay. Also, those of you who have been- which food item was your favorite? Thanks for your advice!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't Drink the Water?

You might want to post this on Puerto Morelos Forum :)

So sorry, I thought I read this in the Cancun Forum! LOL

Edited: 24 June 2013, 15:33
rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't Drink the Water?

Folks who worry about getting sick......do!

bring some Amodium AD just in case...

You can order bottled water in any restaurant.......

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,453 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't Drink the Water?

And some folks who don't worry about getting sick also get sick. Even those with iron stomaches occasionally have a problem. So some precautions are important.

My method is to always choose places that are busy and choose popular dishes so that you can be assured that food has not been sitting around.

Another "rule of thumb", totally non-scientific, but it seems to work - when eating at loncherias and other smaller food stands is to choose places run by women rather than men. I think that women are just generally more attuned to proper food handling practices than men. This is a total generalization and probably unfair to the many men who practice proper food handling practices, but it seems to work. I have never gotten sick after eating at a place run by women.

With regard to drinks - order bottled water and if you are at all unsure about a place, order bottled drinks only - there should be a variety of sodas available - standards like Coke and orange Fanta, Jaritos brand sodas, etc. Generally though, jamaica, horchata, and other aguas frescas will be made with bottled water - most places get bottled water delivered in the big jugs. The ice will be ice made in a facility with bottled water that is then delivered to restaurants and food vendors - you can tell because it is cylindrical with a hole in the middle.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
201 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't Drink the Water?

Thank you so much for the info. I love this forum! It is so helpful.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't Drink the Water?

They want your repeat business and won't knowingly make you sick. Go, enjoy, relax.

Elsewhere in Mexico, I was impressed when a (male) hot dog vendor put on plastic gloves to handle money, and took them off to handle food. And at another place, when I (oops) attempted to pay the food-handling guy at a two-man taco stand, instead of the money-handling guy. They were more hygiene-alert than I was.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,361 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't Drink the Water?

I also look at how money is being handled, VP. In addition to great food, its something I like about eating tacos with Sabrina on Sundays in Merida. She is very careful in handling the money and the food.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't Drink the Water?

"You can order bottled water in any restaurant."

Nobody's going to serve tap water even if you don't specify bottled. We usually ask for "agua de garrafón" ("water from the jug"), which will be dispensed from a 20 L / 5 gal. carboy out back.

Ice is not a problem since it's always made with purified water, and practically always from a commercial ice plant. Commercial ice is not always cylindrical with a hole in the middle.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,361 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't Drink the Water?

Agree with Mark. I never pay for bottled water in a restaurant. They aren´t going to serve you tap water.

Also true about the commercial ice. Don´t think its not purified just because it isn´t cylindrical with a hole in the middle!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,453 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't Drink the Water?

Ok - I should have said that in my experience, ice always comes in that shape :-)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,331 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't Drink the Water?

I remember one poster who said, if the ice has 2 holes, it's even safer