We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing a resort....

Level Contributor
38 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing a resort....

Looking to return to the area again this fall (we had a wonderful family trip in May and want to come back just the two of us). We stayed at El Cid Marina Resort & Spa. We didn't love that there wasn't a place to get food during the day without drying off and going into buffet. Other than that we liked it. Anyway here is what we need:

Reasonable Price

Good Snorkeling

Less than 40 min from airport

Some type of grille or bar to eat at so we can continue our hours as beach bums

Amazing Beach

Good Food

I have been searching- Now Sapphire may win- but I would love to hear any suggestions out there. We are not super picky- just need sun and drinks :)

Chicago
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing a resort....

My girlfriends and I enjoyed Now Jade, it is about 25 minutes from the airport, has a beach side casual restaurant and nice dinner restaurants. No reservations for dinner is a real plus.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,547 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing a resort....

You still have to be DRY to eat at NOW Sapphire.

In fact, that`s the deal at most places - dry bathing suit and some sort of cover up (although you don`t actually have to get dressed up; a pareo will suffice). If you sit down with a wet bathing suit, you`re going to leave the seat wet for the next guest - and if you`ve ever sat in a wet seat, you`ll know that it`s kinda unpleasant. If you happened to be all dressed up to go home, then it`s more than unpleasant, it`s downright annoying!

The Grand Sirenis has a snack grill at the beach where you can grab a bite in your bare feet and bathing suit. It definitely does NOT have an amazing beach though. For that matter, neither does the NOW Sapphire, IMHO. The beach at the Sapphire itself is great but that seagrass is really unpleasant. The Barcelo Maya (a complex of five resorts in one) also has a restaurant right by the beach but you do need to wear a cover up and your bathing suit has to be dry. Excellent on site snorkelling and a lovely beach. Also check out the Grand Palladium - they`re known for good snorkelling too but I don`t know how they do on the other criteria.

Just a thought on the wet bathing suit thing - is there a reason you can`t just dry off in the sun for a bit before you eat? That’s what I do.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing a resort....

The rules about the wet bathing suit thing is because of the idiot's who unlike you who dry off first out of consideration for the next person. It's like everything else in life we all have rules to live buy because of the ones who don't care.

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
353 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing a resort....

Sunshine, I don't from where it is you are from, but the Warden and I recently booked Excellence Riviera Cancun right after Labor Day (Beginning of Sept. if you're European) for under $1300 US/pp. for the week all of the Excellence resorts and feel you can't go wrong. They have a daily themed luncheon on the beach where it's Mexican one day, Burgers and dogs the next, Seafood one day, etc. The servers will bring food to your pool or beach lounger with anything that is currently available if you're feeling really lazy. Each of the Mexican resorts are rated #1 in their respective areas and have service that is second to none.

Level Contributor
38 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing a resort....

Haha. Wow. You all make me feel like a fool for this request! We had our honeymoon in Aruba at the Divi and they had this great bar and grille right on the beach. They also had a pool grille that had brick oven pizza and other sandwiches. it was heaven!

I guess the hassle really came in at El Cid when we had to dry off and then rinse and dry the baby when she was already yelling and hungry! El Cid had no options to just grab something and eat it- which is a pain when you have a hungry toddler. A sit down anything with a baby is like dining with a ticking time bomb- just not super pleasant!

To each their own- I like to grab something on the beach for lunch in my ideal vacation!

Thank you for the Excellence idea- I have been looking into them as well!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,547 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing a resort....

Excellence resorts are adult only. Unless you plan on leaving the baby at home, they`re not an option.

Check out Dreams Resorts though, they really cater to families with children.

Level Contributor
38 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choosing a resort....

Nope. No baby this time.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choosing a resort....

Take a look at Secrets Silversands. I have heard that they have started the Barefoot Grill every day for lunch. Burgers, ribs, hotdogs, fries....in your wet swimsuits. Or - if you feel like it - there is two sit down, server restaurants right there by the pool as well.

Level Contributor
38 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choosing a resort....

How is the beach at Secrets Silversands? Anyone have any input on Now Jade? Beach?

New York
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choosing a resort....

if you want amazing beach, maybe look at the maroma or playa del Carmen area. We were at DRC recently and I was not happy at all with the ocean. I found the ocean very rocky...I think it is from the reef that all the sharp rocks were in the water.