We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano eruption

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Volcano eruption

I have just heard today that dozens of american airlines are cancelling flights to Mexico city due to ash cloud from the neighbouring volcano. I appreciate Mexico city is some distance from Cancun, however having experienced potential issues from the Ash cloud from the Icelandic volcano to the UK , I guess there could in the coming days be issues with the airlines etc.

We are travelling next week. Has there been any discussion locally around flight cancellations / warnings?

London, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcano eruption

I have just landed back from cancun and did not notice any major delays

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,133 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcano eruption

You can never know about such things but ash clouds from that area have rarely impacted flights to and from this area.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volcano eruption

Planes are still landing and taking off from Mexico City. The U.S. airlines are being extra cautious/ridiculously paranoid (depending on your viewpoint). But there is no problem with Cancun which is nearly 1,000 miles away.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,133 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volcano eruption

Your opinion , Steve. I worked for one of the "extra cautious/ridiculously paranoid" US airlines and I will go with that any day. It is an expensive decision for them to make but always best to err on the side of caution when it comes to air safety.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volcano eruption

You really don't want to chance volcanic ash extinguishing a jet engines operation. Good plan to avoid.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volcano eruption

"Dozens" of American airlines? I see five mentioned in this BBC report, and interestingly, no Mexican airlines.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23193828

As mentioned, Cancun is too far away. Perhaps if and when the volcano becomes the top item on your local news, then maybe it's time to worry.

Personally, I've been looking at flights to Mexico City. It's ME that needs to be concerned.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,806 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Volcano eruption

The authorities have established a 7-mile (11km) no-go zone around the volcano, which lies 40 miles south-east of the airport. (in Mexico City)

Sounds like Cancun airport is safe

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volcano eruption

When I said "extra cautious/ridiculously paranoid" I meant either/or - not both :)) I don't really have an opinion (although I would if I was flying on one of those canceled flights....).

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Volcano eruption

Dajascot. To correct and not get hollered at again about my truncated response not being useful. Not saying you need to avoid. Your airline will know what's safe. We sometimes get postponed by snowstorms. Hate losing those precious vacay days.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,133 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Volcano eruption

¨ Your airline will know what's safe¨

Exactly. During my airline days, I spent time with our operations people and I can tell you when they cancel a flight, it is not an easy decision. But from observing our operations people, I know they always made the safe decision even if it caused major disruptions to the airline.