We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with family

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with family

Have been to Cancun area many times, mostly adults only. Wanted to take my kids next summer and was wondering if Dreams was still pretty much the best in the area. By the reviews I am not so sure anymore.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,959 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with family

why not join in on an existing thread vs a new one??

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k66893…

Springfield...
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with family

We are leaving Thursday for Dreams Riviera Cancun!! Can't wait! We originally booked a preferred club junior ocean view. After reading some of the reviews that the rooms were quite small for a family of 4 (with 3 girls), I emailed them last week and we upgraded to a master suite. It is 1205 square feet, had a king in one area, a pull out sofa in the living area and we will get a roll away. We have 2 girls, 10 & 13.

I think you can find poor reviews for anyplace. Most of these tend to be nit picking to me. Things are just different in different countries.

We come back on August 1. If you have any question, feel free to message me :)

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with family

Thank you Stacy! I will def. message you! Have a great trip!!!

New York
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with family

We were at DRC. I will be one of the people who didn't care for it too much.

We had a preferred club swim out room. Preferred club not worth the money unless room location if very important to you. They say free wifi with it but that is only for 2 devices and the wifi is horrible there.

one of my biggest things I didn't like about DRC was the room size. I felt it was way too small for a family of 4 unless the kids are toddlers. I traveled with my husband and 2 boys ages 9 and 11. I felt we were constantly tripping over each other and only place we had to sit was on our beds. The couch had our luggage on it since the closet was so small all of the luggage didn't fit in it. I clear off the couch we ended up loading the luggage in the tub. Also, since I was traveling with boys, the bathroom situation didn't leave any room for privacy. They do have shutters to close it off but it is still open to the room so there is no place to get dressed. I kicked the kids out of the room when I needed to change and shower.

The food was good, resturants were good. Room service was good except there wasn't no where in the room to eat unless you wanted to sit I wasn't crazy about the pool layout. After being there, I think I prefer more of a lazy river layout for pools. The centralized pool area made me feel like we were all on top of each other.

I think this resort is best for families with kids under 7 or a family wedding. My 11yo was kind of bored (kids club was geared towards younger kids. My 9yo liked it). There wasn't much for the tween age kids to do. I am looking at one of the Azul resorts for our next family vacation.

if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with family

Thanks for the reply. I took my son to Dreams in Cancun in 2006 and did not care for that one. My parents took my son in 2010 to Dreams Riviera Maya and they loved it. Do you have any suggestions on any nice kid friendly resorts. My son is 14 and stepdaughter 8.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with family

raul-amy....look at Azul sensatori....I have not been there but I am considering it (still researching) for our vacation next year. I liked that it had a teens club area and a kids club. I have read that the beach isn't great...so I am still on the hunt...I would love to hear what you decide.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with family

I will look into that one, thanks for the advice. I have never heard of that hotel. We are going next June sometime, but I will def. let you know what we decide and you let me know too.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with family

I'm researching for next trip (myself, hubby and 10 year old son) and am looking at DRC and have also heard Barcelo Maya Palace and Iberostar Paraiso Lindo/Maya are good for families.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
629 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with family

I have been to both The Sensatori and Dreams Riviera Cancun.

I would go with Dreams it seemed more lively Entertainment wise and less walking.

14 is a tough age at either but your 8yr old will love Dreams.

I did not book Preferred Club but my friends did.It is a Nice perk.The Free WiFi is slow,Rooms are closer to the Beach.The best thing was the Preferred Lounge which we were able to access being our friends had Preferred status.They Had an Excellent Happy Hour set up in there with Sushi,Baby Lamb Chops,Drinks Etc.

10. Re: Traveling with family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:21