We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I be worried about the weather next week??

Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Should I be worried about the weather next week??

Hubby and I are headed off to ERC for the first time, we leave this Saturday for one week! I know, the weather forecast is probably not very reliable as things change in tropical climates all the time but I guess I just have to ask. . . tons of rain in the forecast next week! Has there been a lot of rain there lately? I guess no point in worrying since I can't do anything about it. . . .

Woodstock, GA
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I be worried about the weather next week??

There is a post about a new live camera on Puerto morelos somewhere in here. I've been looking at it daily and there is usually very little rain and cloud cover! Good luck amd have fun!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I be worried about the weather next week??

It has been raining daily, (at least where I am). Also, it has been sunny. September is normally a heavy rain month for us here in the tropics. Its the height of the Hurricane Season, so expect more rain than usual.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I be worried about the weather next week??

The weather forecasts are getting pretty reliable closer to departure date, couple of days in advance. The valid reason to worry would have been a hurricane or a tropical depression coming toward the Yucatan - it is a hurricane season now till the end of Nov, but most probably you get lucky and it will be just raining sometimes here and there - it is a wet season but the rain is usually heavy, short and spectacular.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I be worried about the weather next week??

Oh boy, I am so worried about this as my daughter has her destination wedding planned there next week and I worry that we will be hurricaned- out! Early AM news this morning is talking about the first potential system forming off the Azores so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it fizzles out. I could care less about quick rain storms and humidity but the hurricane force winds are something else.... fingers crossed!!!!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,552 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I be worried about the weather next week??

Karrieb, there is nothing off the Azores and it would not hit the area if there was as that is too far north (off the coast of Portugal - maybe you meant the Cape Verde Islands?). However there is a wave coming off of the west coast of Africa (close to Cape Verde islands) which has a 40% chance of tropical storm formation. With it being that far out, I certainly would not worry about it for next week!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Edited: 30 August 2013, 16:51
Boston
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I be worried about the weather next week??

Thanks Akandal, I'm sure that's correct, I had my locations mixed up. Won't stop me from worrying though LOL

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,552 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I be worried about the weather next week??

Karrieb, go and have a wonderful time at the EDR for your daughter's wedding, it will be lovely!

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I be worried about the weather next week??

Generally the forecast is for more of the same. If you look at generic weather sites they like to predict 60-70% chance of rain/thunderstorms ALL summer. Mostly we have a small rain cloud come through, rain on us (sometimes heavily) and then pass on in around 30 minutes, so nothing to spoil the holiday.

There does look to be a little low pressure system coming, that may bring some wind and a little rain on Monday, but generally good. We check these sites for the best predictions - http://www.windguru.cz/int/ find Cancun and Playa del Carmen (like so many, they haven't found PM yet!!) it's good for wind and check the precipitation.

Another site for generally keeping an eye on what's coming - http://www.crownweather.com/?page_id=29

Lindsay

Wet Set Diving & Snorkeling Adventures

Truth or...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I be worried about the weather next week??

As you said yourself, there's nothing you can do about it, so worrying about it won't accomplish a thing. Just roll with it!

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I be worried about the weather next week??

I worry more about getting caught in the rain here, while on my Harley. I can always find a bar at the resort to hang out at, but I really hate cleaning my scooter.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 23:48