We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to stay

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Topic
places to stay

My husband and I spend very little time in our room. We spend most of our time on the beach, out exploring, riding bikes, eating, etc. We would like suggestions of where to stay that is very inexpensive, but safe, as it will be used very little.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to stay

What are you looking for:

All inclusive resort/condo/hotel and level of amenities you want?

Adults only or not?

Location (in PDC, walk away from PDC, don't care)?

Budget (your inexpensive may not be the same as others) and does that include air?

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: places to stay

I meant to mention all of that ......... not all inclusive, don't care if it is adult only or kids, very budget (which we understand from traveling all over the Caribbean, Central America, and Mexico that it is not going to be anything fancy at all, we can do without air if the re is a fan, we will be doing NO cooking. We have backpacked through Central America, and usually rent bikes, if that tells you anything about us. We travel a whole lot, and by doing it on the cheap, we can go much more often. Our only request this time is that our 23 year old son died a couple of months ago, so we would like a beautiful beach with an umbrella or palapa so that we can have some peace and not get burned.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: places to stay

We like to eat local food and blend in with locals and backpackers. Just want to be safe.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to stay

I'm sorry about your son.

If it's helpful, below was my short list from my trip last year:

Alma Libre site - http://almalibrebooks.com/1-01-3.htm

Abbey del Sol - http://abbeydelsol.com/comparison.html

Casa Caribe

Cabanas Puerto Morelos

Hacienda Morelos - This ended up as 1st choice and where I stayed. It was all about location. :-)

Posada el Patio - I went to see this place and really liked it. I didn't stay so I don't know how loud it would be at night time.

Posada el Moro - Very cute! I would definitely still here in the future.

Rancho Sak-Ol

Good luck. Safe travels. :-)

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to stay

In Pto. Morelos we have been to the Now Jade, Now Sapphire, Secret Silver Sands, Ocean Coral y Turquesa and Dreams Riviera Cancun. These are very close to Pto Morelos, short ride or a 40 minute walk by beach. The town has some safe back streets with lots of small family run restaurants. It is a very quiet little place but still interesting. BTW, all of the resorts I mentioned are All Inclusive, the SSS being adults only.

Edited: 06 September 2013, 20:03
Ontario
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to stay

Great point of clarification DonCarlos. DrKay, my list is not all inclusive and on the budget side of things.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places to stay

Saw your list of non AIs so I thought I would add my dos centavos.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: places to stay

Excellent idea! The more options the better I think! :-)

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: places to stay

Which of the all inclusives mentioned is the closest to town, and which has the best beach (no rocks or seaweed)?

I am trying to decide whether to go AI or not. I had not initially planned to in order to get the local flavor.

Thanks!

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: places to stay

Amar Inn! I sent you a private message with links to some photos. Here is a link to my review:

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

And a link to the first day of my trip report:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k6113…

Please excuse all my spelling/grammatical errors. I was on vacation. I didn't proof read.

It sounds like it would be right up your alley in regard to budget, location etc. I hope you have a great vacation wherever you stay!