We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware having photos taken at OCT

new jersey
Level Contributor
335 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Beware having photos taken at OCT

BEWARE having your photos taken by the photographers at Ocean Coral & Turquesa. Although they take great shots, the prices they try to charge are incredible! A recent reviewer says they were initially quoted $2000 to get a CD of their family shots. They bargained it down to a smaller package, but then they didn't receive what they were quoted. Other reviews mention similar negative comments, and I had a similar negative experience in June. They initially tried to charge a thousand dollars for 20 pictures on a CD, then they halved the price when we balked, and then they rudely insulted us when we told them that the price they quoted was still too high and we asked if we could just buy 2-3 of our favorite shots.

This outfit is a bunch of rip off artists who think that tourists are there to be scammed. When I complained to the hotel management, they responded by saying that the photographers are an independent concession and they have no control. It's a shame because these nasty photographers will even harass you if you try to take your own photos of the exotic monkeys and birds that are brought on site. Note that the shop for these photos is inside the gift shop in the lobby at OCT and they have several photographers roaming the property shooting day and night.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 16:46
Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware having photos taken at OCT

$2000 - are you kidding me? That is just stupid. In most resorts I've stayed at, they have wandering photographers who do the same thing. You are under no obligation to buy those pictures. The only time you may have some obligation is if you are asking them to take more pictures, different poses, etc --- basically, taking their time. But if they've just asked you (or your kids) to pose with the monkey and they take a quick shot, and then go on to the next person --- they cannot expect to sell every picture they take, not even close! (especially at those prices!)

I do think its probably wrong, however, to take your own pictures with the photo props they've brought in. I can see why they would not be happy with that.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
357 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware having photos taken at OCT

I've seen this being done in the DR also. It's not ok for the resort to tolerate this and I don't understand why they would since it reflects badly on them. And I'm not thrilled about the idea of them randomly taking pictures either. It seems so invasive, especially if they then hound you to buy the pics you didn't even consent to have taken in the first place.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware having photos taken at OCT

Apparantly someone is buying them or they'd be out of business. Best thing to do is say no thank you when they ask if they can take your photo.

Also, I think it's terrible to use those poor animals as part of their business. All day long they are out in that heat being handled by many people and I've never seen one even given a sip of water while walking around the resort.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware having photos taken at OCT

<<I do think its probably wrong, however, to take your own pictures with the photo props they've brought in. I can see why they would not be happy with that.>>>

Right. And this is pretty standard with photographers just about ANYWHERE. I 've seen it on cruise ships, on other islands, at other resorts, in las Vegas....you can't just "swipe" a photo of their set up.

Now if you see a monkey or parrot that's not with a photographer, fine, take a photo. But to have them pose your kid, and take their photo, while you try to take your own with your own camera so you don't have to pay them--well That's just wrong.

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware having photos taken at OCT

Please do not support these people who bring wild animals in as props for their business. It is a growing trade here and many of us locals have tried to stopit as it encourages people to steal animals from the wild and sell them with absolutely NO regard for endangered species or their health and well being. The wild cats are almost gone from the region because of the massive development and from farmers killing them for food or fear and capturing the young for trading to the dealers. Greed is ruling, an ugly master indeed. Please help protect the animals. Shame on the hotels for allowing it.

new jersey
Level Contributor
335 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware having photos taken at OCT

I would never try to cheat someone out of their livelihood by allowing them to do their whole photo setup and then takimg my own photos. However, this is not what happened at OCT. I saw the photographer walking around with a gentleman carrying two beautifully colored birds. I snapped a shot of the birds and the photographer made a huge scene yelling at me. As for the care of the animals, I cannot comment on that. I would hope that OCT would not hire animal abusers given their claim and other ecologically sensitive practices.

cheshire
Level Contributor
454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware having photos taken at OCT

Ridiculous! We paid $200 at secrets maroma for a book made from our wedding pictures, this included 20 pictures and we had them as a back on cd for no extra cost!

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware having photos taken at OCT

That sounds a lot more realistic lynznpete. 2000 dollars for holiday photos of any kind is, as you say, ridiculous!

2000 PESOS maybe.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
357 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware having photos taken at OCT

I totally agree that using animals as props is wrong and would never support that. Another thing that reflects badly on the resort...

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware having photos taken at OCT

$2000 seems expensive if it's pesos. It's mind-boggling if anyone actually thought they'd ever sell pictures if that is dollars. Unfortunately, "$2000" doesn't clarify which it is.

Either way, it's easily avoided by not having your picture taken by anyone other than family and by not buying photos.