We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

Can you still use U.S. Currency with out issue or should we get peso before we go Some Resorts south of Playa Del Carmen are asking for copies of your passport when using U . S. $$$ I know the drug trade is causing this thanks in advance

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,387 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

As you have to exchange your CND $, why not just get pesos

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

We got U S And Canadian accounts for our holiday funds. I dont have a peso account .would be nice if BMO had that option for me, I can get Peso's now out of our bank machine , very handy , I just needed to know how much it has changed from last year ....

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,387 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

I still recommend using pesos in Mexico

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,806 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

US dollars are widely accepted in the tourist areas but your money will go further if you use pesos. There are a few tourist places that don't accept US currency, such as the ruins at Tulum (entrance fee).

If you try to exchange US dollars for pesos in Mexico, you can expect to be asked to provide some ID (passport) and there is a limit to how much you can exchange (I can't remember the exact limit but believe it's pretty generous and more than your average tourist will spend).

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

Thanks Lisa Not much has changed , that's good.. We have a friends that are staying at a resort in Peurto Vallarta. They got told - only bring peso. no US $$$.. go figure..

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,806 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

Puerto Vallarta is quite different from Cancun/Riviera Maya in that the US dollar is nowhere near as widely accepted. When I visited there several years ago (before the limitations on US dollar exchanges) it was very peso-centric and I would guess that it's even more that way now.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,387 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

Perhaps bring a mix

US$ for tips and some pesos for trips

I usually goto a Vancouver Exchange House and get lots of small peso bills for tipping

Rimouski (Québec)
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

"They got told - only bring peso. no US $$$.. go figure.."

Mexicans going to Canada can't understand neither when they are told "Only bring Cdn $, no pesos..." Go figure!

Edited: 19 December 2013, 20:51
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

if you want to pay 30 percent more for everything then us your US dollars as they exchange at 10 to 1

atm machines will give you 13 to 1

'americans cannot understand this but i thought a canadian would

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: U.S. Currency in P.M. and at OCT

Why would a Canadian buy US dollars than buy Pesos with them when you get to Mexico? That is just plain dumb. When you get to Mexico go to the ATM and get Pesos simple.