We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

Hi, my husband and I are planning our Mexico vacation, and will most likely be traveling the last week of August or the 2nd week of October. We haven't narrowed that down yet. We are considering this resort. I wanted to get some opinions on the rooms. Which would you get? The Ocean view junior room or the privilege junior suite? I've read all the added perks of the privilege, but am wondering if at that time of year those are really worth it? I really want a room with a view because we spend a lot of time on the balcony in the morning and at night. It states the privilege rooms have a "garden" view. When we stayed at VIM, all we could see where trees right in front of our room, and we did not enjoy that so much. Thank you!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

We booked privilege last July and would do it again without hesitation. Check out our review for the details. The rooms are spread out and your view could vary. We requested a second floor to put us above the gardens and we lucked out and most of our balcony faced the ocean as well as the garden below.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

I had a great Privilege room, third floor, view of quiet pool and ocean.

Loved the butler service, the great a la carte breakfast (SO much nicer than starting a day with a buffet!!), the service at the Privilege beach, and the dinners at Fusion. Well worth the upgrade to us.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

As long as you are not on the ground floor, you should have some type of ocean view whether you book privileged or not. I didn't think the cost of the upgrade was going to be worth what they offered because at the time we went (low season) it would have added about another $500 to our stay. If I were going to pay that much more, I would have went to a resort with a better beach. We had to keep the budget down for the couple we were traveling with.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

IMO Privilege is definitely the way to go. Our room did face the ocean overtop of the gardens next to what they call the Privilege Pool. It was a great view. For me the Privilege Lounge for breakfast alone was well worth the upgrade. I am including a link to my review here for specific details of our stay. Also consider that the 2nd week of October is right in the thick of hurricane season.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g240327-d112…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

Thank you everyone for your opinions!

lauralP - Thanks for mentioning about hurricane season. I did not think of that! We always go the last week of August, but we might not be able to this year. That is still up in the air. Is September still okay or should we wait until Dec?

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

Hurricane "season" is technically June 1 to Nov. 30. The problem with going to OCT in December is the possibility of cold pools. We went at the end of March and they had a freak cold spell prior to our arrival. We stayed 7 nights and the pools didn't get warm enough until the 5th day. Air temperature and the ocean were both fine. But-others who have visited in December can give you some more info on that time of year traveling to OCT. Have a great trip whenever you can visit!!!

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

We did not have Privilege on our trip to OCT last winter. I don't feel that I missed anything. I thought the resort was nice and I would return. Our room was on the second floor with a great, unobstructed view of the ocean. I think, most rooms have a good ocean view.

I agree with the poster that said because of the additional price for Privilege, you could book a nicer resort for the same price. That is what I would do rather than pay for extra services at this resort.

Either way, Privilege or not, this is a nice resort.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 14:40
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

We are going to oct Sat Jan 4, the Green Bay Packers are playing on Sunday. Does anyone know if the hotel will be able to show the game? If not any suggestions on where to go, we are from Green Bay and can't miss the game. Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

You might want to create your own thread for asking about the game, as the title of my original post is about the rooms, your question may get overlooked.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean Coral & Turquesa - Room question!

Thanks!