We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at ERC...

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Beach at ERC...

Hello all!

I am on the fence about where to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. It will be our first childless trip in 7 years. I was all ready to book ERC for June 15th-20th, however I have been reading negative reviews about the beach compared to other resorts. While I understand everything else (food, drink, pools, service, etc..) is top notch for an AI resort, my wife is a beach person. I've been to Punta Cana 3 times and while I understand that beach at ERC is not even close to that quality, is it still nice enough and calm enough for a beach person to enjoy (quality of sand, clear water, room to stretch, etc)? If it were entirely up to me, I'd choose ERC, but I want my wife to be happy with the beach.

Was favoring Secrets Moroma Beach for this reason until I saw the price. Any other high quality AI resorts on better beaches (on the Riviera Maya) you would recommend? Thank you so much in advance.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at ERC...

sg......The sand is very nice. The beach is fairly wide in front of the resort and the seating areas are not real close to each other, especially on the excellence club side. They also have some private beach cabanas (do a search on this site for excellence private beach cabanas, for pictures) that you can rent for a day at a time. Not sure what the cost is, but I'm sure if you add a question to the forum, someone will answer.

The water is hit or miss depending on the weather. There is always some seaweed, and the water is never crystal clear. If the weather is good for a couple of days, you will be able to see your feet and the seaweed is pretty minimal. If there are a couple of storms, the seaweed and cloudiness, are considerably worse.

If relaxing on the beach, and getting in the water just too cool down, you will probably be very happy at ERC. If you plan on being in the water a lot, you probably won't be.

I was also looking at Secrets Maroma, because of the good reviews on the beach, but couldn't justify the extra expense. We really like ERC and will be returning this fall for the 4th time.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,989 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at ERC...

Hi

We have been to ERC several time and will be returning again this summer as part of another multi-resort trip

Personally, would give the beach 7.5 out of 10

If you check out my photo albums on SlickPic you will find several for ERC all of which have photos of the beach and ocean

http://flipflopman.slickpic.com/

SMB does have a much nicer beach but as you say you will pay a premium for that

You may also want to check out El Dorado Maroma to see how the price of that compares with ERC & SMB

Edited: 16 January 2014, 19:03
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at ERC...

I agree, when I go to the beach I do not want sea grass or murky water. I can get that in the lake in Texas.

Have you looked at Royal Hideaway or Iberostar Grand? Royal Hideaway has a great beach and gets great reviews but we have never been as my husband (who is 39 but still a kid at heart) thinks it would be too quiet for us. We love the Grand and have been 4 times so I could tell you all about it if you are interested. I will say though, that they do require you to make dinner reservations for the a la carte restaurants so if you don't think your wife would like that its not the place for you. SMB always prices out more for us than the Grand so that's why we have not tried it, but I know that's not the case for everyone so don't know if the Grand would be more for you or not. The Grand has a bit of iron shore rocks in front of one of the ocean front buildings but on our 4 trips we have never had a problem find a spot to take a dip in the ocean and the water is clear and free of sea grass.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at ERC...

Thank you so much for the replies. Flipflop_Man, thank you for sharing your photos. How would you rate ERC against Excellence Punta Cana (beach aside)?

Texas123_7, ERC is perfect for us with the exception of the concerns for the beach. Iberostar might be a bit large for us. Is it as big as it looks? How's the food and drink there?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at ERC...

The Grand is not big at all. Its only 310 rooms. It is part of a larger complex of 4 other resorts, but those guests cannot come onto the property of the Grand. The Grand is a quiet luxurious oasis next to the Iberostar family resorts. We have enjoyed both the food and drink at the Grand. The Grand's included wine list is regarded as much more extensive than most other all inclusives. There is a long list of beers, and my husband loves that. I enjoy the higher end liquors that I can choose for my drinks. Typically I like refreshing vodka tonics and I can get Belvedere or Grey Goose for those.

You may have already done this but this is my advice:

Get on Tripadvisor on your computer (not on a phone or mobile device), go to the Excellence Riviera Cancun page, then traveler photos. Sort those by pool/beach pics. Scroll through as many of those as you can. All if you have to. If there are pictures you see that you wouldn't be happy with then you need to change resorts. Those traveler photos were added at all different times of the year by people just taking pics on vacation and will give you an excellent resource to decide if ERC will be good for you.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 21:41
San Diego...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at ERC...

flipflop_man - how do you determine your rating system?

We are considering ERC in September.

For those that have stayed at ERC - do you recommend upgrading to Excellence Club? Is it better to try and upgrade once you are there and hope for an upgrade?

I have a few more questions:

Does anyone know if they have Crown Royal (bars and rooms), what are the wines like, can you make special requests for mini bar? Do they have that door tag where you can request breakfast in room in the morning without calling for room service? What do you get for honeymoon/anniversary?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,989 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach at ERC...

"Thank you so much for the replies. Flipflop_Man, thank you for sharing your photos. How would you rate ERC against Excellence Punta Cana (beach aside)?"

EPC & ERC are similar is style of room with ERC having darker furniture and most of this will gradually disappear and they update the rooms over the next year or so. The service is on the same high standard and we have always found the food to be better in Mexico. ERC has a smaller beach frontage than at EPC as there the resort stretches along the beach with just the cascade pool being set back. At ERC you the majority of the lazy river complex sits back of the beach

Restaurants are mostly the same

ERC has more enclosed public areas with AC and has more marble, etc

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,989 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach at ERC...

"flipflop_man - how do you determine your rating system?"

As i say in my reviews it is a scoring matrix which measures 14 different parameters which are important “to us” :

Accommodation*

Finesse/Ambiance*

Quality of Food & Variety*

Trouble Freeness*

Beach(s)

Grounds/Attractiveness

Resort Upkeep

Entertainment

Choice & Variety of Restaurants

Quality of Service & Attentiveness

Choice of Bars, Drinks & Seating Areas

WISOTT (Reality v Marketing)

Resort Layout & Organisation

Choice of Suitable Sun Bathing Areas

The first 4 having a 100% weighting

"For those that have stayed at ERC - do you recommend upgrading to Excellence Club? Is it better to try and upgrade once you are there and hope for an upgrade?"

It is certainly not a prerequisite of having a great time and it very much depends on whether the items included are of interest to you. The main plus points are that EC guests have their own pool which is heated in the winter months when required and it has its own pool bar. EC guests also have their own beach section, access to the EC Lounge and an extra layer of pampering

"Does anyone know if they have Crown Royal (bars and rooms)" - I think so

"What are the wines like" - we found the AI wines to be drinkable

"Can you make special requests for mini bar?" - yes within limits

"Do they have that door tag where you can request breakfast in room in the morning without calling for room service?" - no but you can order it the evening before if you wish

"What do you get for honeymoon/anniversary?" - see link below

excellence-resorts.com/weddings-romance/hone…

Please feel free to send me a P with any further questions

Edited: 17 January 2014, 17:28
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach at ERC...

We've been to EPC, ERC, EPM and Iberostar Grand.

Of course all opinions are personal and subjective.

Of all of them we like the ERC resort the best.

From a beach sand and water perspective far and above I feel Punta Cana is the nicest, followed by the beach at IB Grand then ERC/EPM. If you want to sit on the beach and relax, any would do. I personally would not get in the water at ERC or EPM with all the floating seaweed. We enjoyed playing in the water at the IB Grand and EPC.

We're glad we tried the Grand but would never return. It's a lot more money and I think that is due to the fact that they put so much money into the lobby. It's like Vegas, over the top. Plus we didn't find the service or food all thet great either. There are lots of people who love the Grand, it's just not for us.

Likewise we tried EPC but didn't like the layout, parallel to the beach and didn't feel that the food was as good as the Excellence properties in Mexico.

We love ERC and will return without a doubt.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach at ERC...

Manda.....My wife and I have always booked the excellence club, because we travel for our anniversary. I find that the anniversary package and the extras that come with the club area make the price worthwhile.

I don't know if I would wait on arrival, to try to upgrade. I may be wrong, but based on people I have spoken to while at the resort, it's doubtful you will get a better price. Also, the excellence club does seem to sell out earlier.

We travel in mid September (supposedly the low season). I booked a room for Sept. 2014 two weeks ago. I had to book a week later than I wanted to because no rooms where available.