We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

romford
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

Have previously stayed at the EDSS and SMB, but am now looking for a hotel that is not as remote ... hence considering Playa Del Carmen.

What I am looking for ...

Adult only

A La Carte restaurants with no reservations

24hr room service

Must be beach front

Within easy walking distance of shops/restaurants/bars

Any info greatly appreciated.

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

Try posting the question at the following:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150812-i23-Playa_…

Placerville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

The Royal Playa Del Carmen seems to fit

Texas
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

The Royal Playa Del Carmen meets all of your wants.

It's a great AO with the best in-town location we can find, so close to shopping/beach bars/night life...you name it you can find it. For food have a la carte & buffet dining options for every meal as well as 24-hour room service that will let you order items not on the menu. The food is our favorite out of all of the resorts we've visited but that's always subjective. They say reservations are required at 2 of the 4 dinner restaurants however we were able to get into all of them by asking so that might be a seasonal/occupancy driven policy. It's beach front & some feel the beach is too crowded but it's what you get with such a prime location. We enjoyed the beach..plenty of loungers and great drink service.

There's also Royal Hideaway Playacar in South Playa Del Carmen. It's further away from the shopping/5th Avenue areas and requires dinner reservations but the beach is superior here.

romford
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

Hi Bill, Kelli and Doug,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Although both hotels would normally be in line with what we are looking for, we are looking for somewhere slightly less expensive, as we are having 2 holidays this year, but without compromising on quality .. if at all possible.

Although I stated AO hotels, I'm not adverse to looking at hotels that aren't AO providing there is an AO pool with perhaps1/2 AO restaurants.

Regards,

Pat

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

Check out Valentin Imperial - a truly wonderful resort and usually less expensive than other adult only. We have been twice and will not hesitate to go a third time.

Take a look at Secrets Silversands as well - very nice and not as expensive as others.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

I was also going to say the Valentin next. Overall it's a solid resort & usually best on budget for AO but requires a cab into town.

You could also look at Sandos Playacar Adults only section. I don't know much about it though.

The Royal has a sister resort across the street that has an adults only rooftop pool but no AO restaurants. It prices out much cheaper. Also not sure if the room service is 24 hours.

Paradisus La Perla is on the North end of PDC & is adults only but not sure about prices here, it's usually not far off from The Royals pricing.

romford
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

Hi Jeff, Kelli and Doug,

Thanks again for your input ... appreciated:-)

At the moment Valentin Imperial appeals to me and seems to be coming within our price range.

How far out of Playa Del Carmen is the Valentin? Also, how is the beach at this resort/ sea at this resort ... is the water calm and gently shelving with easy access?

Thanks again,

Pat

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

The Valentin is about a 20-30 minute drive from PdC. The resort does offer a shuttle at a cost of US$18 per person, round trip but there's no flexibility on the schedule (which is either out at 10, back at 2 or out at 3 back at 7). Your best bet would be to chum up with another couple and share a cab to town and then get your own taxi back when you're done.

As for the ocean at the VIM, it can be millpond smooth or 6 foot plus waves; it really all depends upon the weather conditions at any given time (I've seen both of the above within a 48 hour period). There is easy, rock-free access at the large, roped off swimming area but at other parts of the beach, the ocean in inaccessible due to ironshore (rocks) at the water's edge. The entire beach (the sand part) at the VIM is great for lounging or walking but you can't run into the water just anywhere.

I'd highly recommend the VIM too. I've been there four times and wouldn't hesitate to return.

For info on all things VIM, check out the Playa del Secreto forum - tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g3198845-i27741-Pla…

Edited: 27 January 2014, 13:25
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

Hey sandy1romford,

If your looking at the VIM and it's 20min. away. You might want to take a look at Catalonia Royal Tulum. Just south of Playa. We've been 5 x, best beach around, food & drinks are good, adults only and not 1000 rooms ( 288 ). Could be another spot for you, we enjoy it.

Cheers,

Sunshine_and_Beer

Edited: 27 January 2014, 14:43
romford
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adult only resorts in/around Playa Del Carmen

Thanks everyone for your help ... as given me food for thought:-)

Sunhine_and_Beer - Re Catalonia Royal Tulum ..... love the fact that it is a smaller resort (which I prefer) How far down the highway (307?) is the CRT ... is it further down than the SMB?

Many thanks,

Pat

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Morelos