We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
upnorth
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

Hope that someone can answer a few questions for me...

Reading reviews and looking at photos there don't look to be any umbrellas by loungers around the pool and something about only 'club members' being the first to have use of palapas on the beach. I like my sun but usually need some shade for a good part of day. Any info?

Sounds like town is about a two mile walk...along beach? I like to run in the morning also. Safety issues at all?

Traveling as a couple we usually book a AO/AI but with finances it did not work out. Don't really know if a upgrade is in the cards wondering if there a huge difference in being part of the whole platnium thing.

Any ideas on building requests that are a bit away from the noise?

Lots of questions, any info is appreciated! Thanks!

MD - USA
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

Shade thing was a fear for me too. Should not have been. No shade by loungers but there are tables and chairs with shade all around pool. We got a combination of loungers and the table behind them every day no problem. At the beach in the platinum section has it's own palapas. There are plenty available for the standard guests not part of their list.

Walking or running safety is no issue. The beach cannot be run the entire way. When you hit the commercial pier you will be forced to veer left down a path that leads to a road you will take into town. Around 2 miles (I think a little less) is correct. Stay on beach, path, and road for safety not from trouble but there are often croc's in that area or have been lately. Town is very safe too. Enjoy it.

We did not book platinum and I never felt like we missed out on anything. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. I never noticed other not being able to go in the club. It could be I don't know what I was missing but I didn't miss it.

We were in building 17 above the pool and beach. Noise was never an issue but if it was going to be it would have been 16 or 17. They have the best views. If you stayed towards the back of the resort noise would be no issue guaranteed but you would have no view. I guess it is all about the visitors at the time but this is a family resort. Noise after the pool shut down never seamed to be any issue.

I hope I got them all. Nice resort. Have fun. Feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
704 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

Hi I posted the same question a few weesk ago have a look at my post, I was thinking of bringing an umbrella to attach to the side of my sun lounger as I have kids I will need to be by the pool for some of the time. I did book platinum as I liked the idea of the lounge, being able to make your restaurant reservations and the getting the beds on the beach. Its my first time to Mexico and the resorts we usually vist in Europe and Asia always have sun loungers so its a worry for me with Irish pale skin.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 11:01
Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

I am here right now....there are many umbrellas at tables poolside, there are palapas on the beach, many are reserved for Platinum members.

Walking to the town via the beach is not doable, you must cross the mangroves to get there, there has been lot of rain and the mangroves are not safe to cross, MANY CROCODILES in the swamp.

Only walkable by the road about 2 km.

We are enjoying our stay, new Italian restaurant opens tomorrow, new building and heated pool scheduled for July.

ontario
Level Contributor
478 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

Hi everyone!

We have a 3 night stay planned next week....any idea what beers they serve (I heard you can get cans) and on tap? No bottled beer right?

How about the white wine...any idea what the house wines are? Are they drinkable LOL?

Great news about the Italian ! I hadn't heard about that!

Any info would be great. However, the Crocodile thing scares me a bit!!!!

Skittles

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
704 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

Great news about the Italian, if you get a chance hlywud let us know what it is like. We go in April so wont get to see the new buildings or pool. What is the best building to be in away from the building work?

Edited: 29 January 2014, 16:38
Northampton...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

I've seen mentions of walking north toward town and Google Maps shows this to be less than a mile. I was curious if you could safely walk the beach and head south? It looks like there's a resort next door but then the beach opens up for miles (and the water looks less rocky). Any experience with heading south along the beach?

Edited: 29 January 2014, 18:35
MD - USA
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

Now Jade is next door to the south and a new non-AI just opened or is about to. I have stayed at El Cid and NJ but the new one was not there. The beach south of NJ was nicer than the beach at NJ and El Cid. I did not walk very far though.

Northampton...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

But nothing that really prohibits you from walking south past Now and the new resort and further? That sounds great! My wife likes getting in the REALLY long walks. :-) Thank you.

upnorth
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

Thanks to everyone for all the answers/advice! Hope you all have a great vacation!

ontario
Level Contributor
478 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: questions about Hotel Marina El Cid

No info on the wine/beer?