We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typhoid jabs

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Typhoid jabs

We are going to Mexico in 5 weeks for the first time. Do we need typhoid jabs or hepatitis jabs?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,454 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typhoid jabs

Contact your medical professional or travel clinic. Several years ago I got the Twinrix shots and maybe typhoid just as a precaution. Not that it was mandatory.

Note that even in the USA, you read about occasional hepatitis outbreaks.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typhoid jabs

Hepatitis A is endemic in Mexico, it's always around. It's also easily transmitted by the fecal/oral route. No matter how meticulous your own personal hygiene may be, you are only as safe as the hygiene habits of the people cooking and serving your food.

Hepatitis A vaccine is safe and pretty effective. If Twinrix (combination Hepatitis A & B vaccine) is available, you might as well get that. Hep B isn't as easily transmitted, usually blood borne or sexually transmitted. However, lots of carriers out there, rendering any sort of first aid, even to a child could put you at risk.

See what you local travel clinic says about typhoid, I keep mine current, but, I don't stay at resorts and eat at out of the way places.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,929 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Typhoid jabs

typhoid jabs

Not in this area - never had them in 10 years

Hepatitis jabs?

Our local Canada doctor advises these for here (CANADA) and the UK

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Typhoid jabs

In the UK the travel clinics recommend Typhoid, Hep A in addition to the usual Tetanus & Polio. At the end of the day it's up to you, I always think it's best to be safe than sorry & the vaccines are free of charge.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typhoid jabs

Thanks for your replies. The vaccines are not free in our area.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Typhoid jabs

They are not free here either. Twinrix was $180 - but well worth it IMO.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,454 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typhoid jabs

I had to pay for my shots. You have to determine whether a given shot is worth it to you but I suspect that the negatives of contracting Hep A far outweigh the cost to be protected.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Typhoid jabs

Just curious, do any of you experts, or those who live in this area, know if restaurant workers are required to have TB tests as they do in the states? I don't know why I just thought of this now.

London, United...
Level Contributor
343 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Typhoid jabs

We are in Hampshire,UK. We got typhoid oral vaccine given to us.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Typhoid jabs

Sounds like the typical UK postcode lottery strikes again if you can't get immunised for free where you live. Last year all four of us had free typhoid & hep A injections - we live in Berkshire, UK. I do recall that there was a shortage of typhoid vaccine and so they were offering oral vaccinations in some parts of UK - pain free but doesn't last as long.