We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at El CID

Willmar, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at El CID

Love this forum. Thanks for all the helpful info! My question is about the beach and ocean quality at El Cid. We have stayed near Puerto Morales a few times, but not at El Cid. We are beach people and after reading reviews, I am worried we will be disappointed. Thanks in advance for any information regarding this!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at El CID

Probably the worst beach in all of our stays in the RM. The hotel does their best to rake up the seaweed, but it is an overwhelming task. It’s not real enjoyable to swim with the rocks on the bottom and the sea grass in the water. Can’t blame the hotel for this as they do everything they can to make it pleasant…it just is not.

We really loved El Cid (pool, activities, food, entertainment), but if you will be spending most of your time on the beach you might want to look somewhere else.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at El CID

Where have you stayed near PM? Maybe we can compare them for you? The beach was always kept clean when we were there but I agree it is not ideal for swimming. I feel the same about others in the area too though.

Willmar, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at El CID

Thanks for the reply! We have stayed at Ocean Coral and Turquesa, Excellence Riviera Cancun, and Eldorado Royale.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at El CID

Beach is raked every day, but the bottom has lots of rocks...

Surf socks are recommended...

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
107 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at El CID

If you are just comparing it to the other resorts in and around PM, IMHO it is relatively nice. It is much better than the giant Iberostar complex near PM. There are rocks and seaweed, but we found swimmable areas and the waves were actually big while we were there. We used the body boards that the resort loans out quite a bit. None of us had any mishaps with rocks and we were pretty wild. We did not even use water shoes most of the time, but I would recommend them. It's a drag to cut your foot (or worse have one of your kids cut their feet) and the first day of your trip.

We had no issues with garbage, like some are claiming, but beach conditions vary from week to week and the resort can't control what gets dumped at sea. I actually liked that most guests seemed to favor the pool, leaving the beach relatively uncrowded., especially for those that actually want to swim instead of just lounge.

With all that said, you cannot compare the El Cid beach with those of Playacar, where the water and sand are like a living postcard. If that is what you are looking for, look elsewhere.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at El CID

I liked it better than OCT. OCT has less rock but more sea grass. There is more of a mix and the beach is bigger at EC. I would want shoes in either and I hate wearing shoes. If you were happy at OCT I think you will be happy at EC.

7. Re: Beach at El CID

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 05:19