We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SSS buildings 5 & 6

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
277 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
SSS buildings 5 & 6

I'm going to Silversands in a couple weeks and am wondering what the deal is with buildings 5 & 6. Many are advising not to stay in those buildings. Does anyone know why?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,441 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SSS buildings 5 & 6

There can be unpleasant sulphur-type of odor that is apparent in that area of the resort from time to time.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 15:29
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SSS buildings 5 & 6

Does the odor get inside the rooms?

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
328 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SSS buildings 5 & 6

We've been a few times and once there was no odor the entire week, another time we noticed it part of one day but not bad and one other time we noticed it for 2 days (not the whole days but at night I believe). The last time I refer to it was strong on one evening but we simply put a towel down by the bottom of the door and the smell didn't enter the room. The walk back from the restaurants was at a quickened pace but it wasn't so bad that it was going to cause nausea or anything like that. Would it be nice if it weren't there? Sure. Was it going to ruin what was otherwise a great vacation? Not in the least. Hopefully that helps!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SSS buildings 5 & 6

Thank you, Mistrhappy. Very helpful...will still request not to stay in those buildings since I love to enjoy the terrace daily.

WA
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SSS buildings 5 & 6

We just got back from SSS. We were in room #1409 and loved it. We did not want to pay for an upgrade so the back building didn't bother us at all. I made a point of walking to the building 5&6 side more than once. I did not smell anything. This does not mean the smell does not exist. I just didn't experience it.

If you want to avoid building 5&6 then ask for 1&2. Same class of room so no price difference and if rooms are available they should be able to move you with no problem. The other thing we liked about building 1 is that it was VERY close to the lobby and breakfast. We had a small view of the ocean ( not the beach).

I will work on a trip report on my day off. I will just say, don't worry much about anything at SSS. We had the trip of a lifetime and did not find anything that could have made us feel bad about the resort.

6. Re: SSS buildings 5 & 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:19