We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Of to SSS May 10th, few queries!

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Of to SSS May 10th, few queries!

hey all, really very excited for our 10 night break to Secrets Silversands in May.

We have been offered a pretty good upgrade deal to get a junior swim up suite and we are considering taking it. it sounds like a good thing!

we were wondering which buildings these are, and whether this would have us at risk of building 5 and 6!

also we have resort credits, and wondered what these are best used for to get the most bang for your buck!

can i ask re tipping to? im used to Sandals which we were told by the staff they dont accept tips whatsoever as they risk losing their jobs? is it customary to tip at SSS? and if so do they prefer USD?

any ideas for must do excursions? we quite fancy something cultural one day perhaps?

at the breakfast buffet, are we looking at being more geared toward the US style breakfast? im assuming its pretty varied!

i think thats it for now!, weve upgraded our flights to and cant wait to get on that plane now..

thanks all x

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Of to SSS May 10th, few queries!

All the buildings have swim up suites on the ground floor.

Resort credits - I've never thought much of these as they are the variety wher you have to spend money to save money. E.g. you'll get a voucher that's good for a $20 discount off a $150 spa service .... so you've still got to pony up $130. Now, if it's a service you'd happily have paid $150 for, then ok but I find many spa services overpriced and thus end up not using my resort credits or vouchers.

Tipping - yup, it's customary at all AIs I've been to but it is NOT mandatory. (Unlike Sandals, I don't know of any resort in the RM that has a strict, no tipping policy.). The debate surrounding which currency to tip in can get pretty heated. In my experience, the staff don't care about currency as much as they do the quantum of the tip. So, if you offer US$1 or 10 pesos, they'll take the dollar - not because of an inherent preference for greenbacks but simply because it's worth more than 10 pesos. Offer 15 pesos or $1 and they'll take the pesos.

If you do choose to tip in dollars, remember that the bills must be in good condition (not torn or defaced in any way). Coins of ANY foreign currency are useless to the recipient, so pesos only if you're talking change.

As far as spending is concerned, US dollars are widely accepted in most of the tourist areas but your money will go further if you use pesos. If you have dollars you want to use up, bring them along; if you have to do a currency exchange anyway, skip the dollars and go straight to pesos.

Ideas for excursions - if you fancy something "cultural", maybe a visit to some Mayan ruins might appeal. Tulum is fairly close and is a very small site - you can see it all in a couple of hours. I like to think of it as "ruins lite". Chichen Itza is the one that gets all the publicity and is touted as one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World (not sure who decides that - the marketing department at Chichen Itza maybe?!). Anyway, a trip to CI involved a three hour drive each way and is really an all day thing. If you want something a bit less onerous, check out the ruins at Coba. More extensive and, IMHO, more interesting than Tulum and you can climb the pyramid at Coba (the one at CI has been closed for years). There are many tour companies that can put something together for you. Personally, I'm not a fan of the big-bus type tours (cattle drives) and have used Yucatreks Tours in the past. A company called Edventures gets rave reviews on these forums too - you can go with one of their standard tours or they'll custom-design a day just for you.

Just off the main lobby area, you will find lots of tour reps who'll be happy to sell you tours and excursions.

If you're more independent, then there's absolutely no need to take a tour at all as public transportation is easy to use, safe and cheap. The only (minor) complication is that SSS is set back from the highway quite distance and you can't really walk from the hotel to the main highway. If you're using a taxi, it's absolutely not an issue but if you wanted to use a bus or collectivo, you're going to have to figure out how to get to the highway.

Breakfast (and lunch) buffets are extremely varied. When I was there (October 2013), there were a lot of British people in attendance and no-one appeared to have any issues with the food on offer.

One last thing, if you've never been through Cancun airport before, you might want to read this thread - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g3198845-i27741-k71…

It tells you exactly what to expect upon arrival and cautions you about the few pitfalls you may encounter.

Hope this helps and happy travels.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 18:44
Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Of to SSS May 10th, few queries!

thanks so much for that!

we are hoping for a breakfast geared toward the american contingent as we do love the USA!

:)

really very excited, think we picked a great time of year to go and a great resort!

WA
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Of to SSS May 10th, few queries!

Hi Pretty,

We just went on our first trip to Mayan Riviera and SSS. Do look at the Airport information. You MUST remember to walk past all the people inside the airport. Once you are outside you can get your transportation. We booked through Apple Vacations and had a shuttle all set. The apple desk is all the way past the buses on the right, once you find them your troubles are over. We loved the service we got from them.

Tipping. The service is so good that you will want to tip. Make sure you have singles and fives. I will admit that I don't think I tipped enough. The staff is so good. This was our first AI and I did not do the best job of being prepared. I never felt that I got reduced service or bad attitudes because I didn't tip.

We went to Tulum, Zip lining at Selvatica and fishing out of PM. Loved all the things we did.

Have fun and enjoy the outstanding resort.

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Of to SSS May 10th, few queries!

Yes ,you can always tip in US dollars if u want to But like the post above ,the dollers must be in near perfect condition or they wont except them..

5. Re: Of to SSS May 10th, few queries!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:19