We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
schplinky
Level Contributor
82 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

We're staying at Secrets Silversands and will want to buy some duty free liquor to bring home. Do we do this at the resort or the airport?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

Airport

Boston...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

Somebody enlighten me on the allure of Duty Free alcohol. From what I have seen, you save maybe a couple of bucks and have to deal with the hassle of waiting for it to be delivered to gate, the extra weight in carry on or risk of breakage in your luggage - all to save a few dollars.

Now if you're a smoker, Duty Free saves you HUGE money.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,794 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

The whole province of Quintana Roo is duty Free

Some stores in town have great liquor prices as does the airport store

Your resort - will charge you double because they can

Many buy at the airport so they don't have to include it in their checked luggage weight limits

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

Doctor, we tend to purchase only those items which we cannot get at home, such as Xtabentun.

schplinky
Level Contributor
82 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

Doctor G, booze is not as cheap in Canada as the USA. The wait at the gate has never seemed a hassle for us and in 30 trips or so, we've never had breakage. Your mileage may vary.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,412 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

Schplinky - as noted above, you can buy duty free booze at the airport and as it ends up being carried on as hand baggage, it doesn't count as part of your checked baggage allowance.

If you plan to shop for duty free before heading to the airport, considering bringing some bubble wrap and ziplock plastic bags to pack your bottles in before they go into your suitcase.

With respect to booze purchased at the airport, remember that if you have a connecting flight, at that connection you will have to remove all liquids over 100ml from your carry on and put them into your checked luggage. I've never done it myself so can't actually tell you how much hassle it is .... but I'd politely suggest that if you're on a connecting flight, you might want to consider buying your booze before you get to the airport and putting in your checked luggage.

schplinky
Level Contributor
82 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

Thanks. We connect in Toronto but the nice thing is, you get your bags back to clear customs and then give them back to the airline. This has never been a problem for us. We actually bought bottle shaped bubble wrap bags at the wine store and as I said, we have never had a problem.

Boston...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

Gotcha...I seem to recall saving about 2$ for a bottle of Grey Goose. Definitely not worth it!

Xtabentum sounds like an anxiety medication! I just googled it and if it's anything like Absynthe...yuck!

9. Re: Are there duty free liquor stores in the all-inclusives?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 06:17