We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

First off, this is our first vacation to an all inclusive and first vacation to anywere warm. We tend to visit Alaska, so this is a big change for us. I read in forums about people bringing an insulated mug to keep drinks cold. It seems like some resorts use little plastic cups and other have better cups to serve drinks in. I am not really fond of the idea of bringing my own cup, but don't want my drink to get warm within 5 minutes. It this something that is done by many at ERC. If so how does it work. You take your mug to the bar and they fill it up. If you are at a pool or the beach and have drink service, do you still use your mug. I can see using it for water around the beach or pool, but other drinks?

Texas
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

There are many previous posts about this (not sure if any are directly related to ERC or not) but do a forum search for "bubba keg".

We've never been to ERC but it seems like a good resort with great service. I doubt you NEED to bring an isulated mug but many do since it's more convenient and does help keep the drinks cool. We don't take the huge mugs but we do take insulated 20 oz mugs, not only do we think it's more friendly on the environment but we also waste less that way since our drinks don't melt and become tasteless. Somedays we use them mainly for ice water and others we'll fill with whatever we're drinking...usually beer for the hubby and a frozen concotion for me. We also like to take them with us when we walk the beach. Another thing we've done is take a collapsable cooler and fill with ice to ice down beer or water. We always stay All Inclusive but sometimes it's hard to find a bottle of ice cold water...it always seems luke warm.

Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

We always take our Tervis cups, but we don't always use them. As KelliandDoug said, they are great for keeping drinks cold, which leads to less waste, and are better for the environment when resorts use disposable cups (I'm pretty sure ERC doesn't use those). They are also great for taking a drink back to the room. You can ask the bartender to fill them and I've never had a drink server turn down having it refilled.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

Like Kelli&Doug I agree you've made a great choice. We've been twice and are going at the start of April for a quick 5-day get away.

I wouldn't say you need to take an insulated mug for beer and drinks if you don't want to and can't say I've seen many around. My wife and I do take small Tim Horton's Coffee mugs with us because they serve self-serve coffee t the Martini Bar starting at 0600 so I usually go down and get one before the restaurants or EC lounge opens.

Hope you have fun.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

Oh and ERC use the hard plastic, re-usable cups so no worries there.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

Hello....I noticed that they do not serve their beer very cold, and it does tend to get warm by the time your done.

Fortunately another guest made a great suggestion which took care of that. Order an Iceburg, a beer with a margarita on top. Tastes good and keeps the drink cold:)

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
202 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

We are going to ERC this fall but have been to several other all-inclusives through the years, including Excellence Punta Cana, and we have learned to take our own thermal cups. Because they are larger than the cups used by the resort, we can get a "double" in our cup and not only does it stay cold longer, but we don't need refills as often. What I actually did this past year was bring 2 cups - one for alcohol drinks and another one I used to made my own ice tea at breakfast (since I don't want to drink alcohol all day). Best of both worlds!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

We just returned and did not take bubba kegs, but metal insulated gasses that held about 16 oz. they did not take much room and were nice to have. We just poured our drink into them.

Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

Thanks everyone! Looks like some stainless steel tumblers will be added to the packing list. I love this forumn. I check it out daily and almost everyone is so helpfull.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

We have been several times and have never seen many of them about

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
107 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Next question on ERC - bring own insulated cup?

another reason to bring your own mug. The hard plastic cups that many resorts use often do not go through a super hot dishwasher before they are used again at the bars and over time they develop a beer and tequila odor. I bring a stainless steel insulated cup that's about 20oz. It is a Bubba Keg brand, but not the huge size. Bartenders do not mind filling it and gladly rinse it for you. It can tip over without spilling and you can stick it right in the sand without getting sand in your drink. If I get a mojito, I let the bartender grind it up in the plastic cup and then just pour it into the Bubba myself. Yum.