We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
106 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

Hi,

We are headed to ERC in 33 days. Yes, I'm counting. We live in the Northeast and have had enough of this crazy winter! This is our first time at ERC and we plan to spend most of our time at the resort relaxing, which really means playing beach volleyball...have a drink.....kayak....have a drink....you get the picture. However, I would like to go off the property at least once or twice to experience the area.

What would you recommend as your top place to see or activity to do? The town of Puerto Morelos, snorkeling, Mayan ruins....?? Your suggestions are appreciated.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

One of my favorite days off our resort was spending time in Puerto Morelos and snorkeling. Both will be very convenient and close to ERC.

You can go to the pier and hire a boat for relatively cheap or you can do what we did on our last trip.

We booked through a dive company right in Puerto Morelos called Wet Set.

www.wetset.com

I emailed the owner a few times and asked lots of questions. The tour ended up being just the 2 of us, boat driver and the guide. It was amazing. They have a few different snorkel tours to choose from that vary in difficulty and price but they will all be in small groups of no more than 6 people. The price is competitive as well.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

We have hopped on the ferry to Isla Mujeres, and had arranged a golf cart (it was from Gomar's).

That was a really great day.

We have arranged a private driver day-trip to see both Tulum and snorkel at Akumal. (thru USA Transferes/Entertainment Plus)

That was an incredible day.

Next trip - deciding between going down to Puerto Morelos to snorkel the reef, which is a Marine Preserve... or, a catamaran trip. I think the one that sounds nicest might be the SeaPassion. It also goes over to Isla Mujeres, which we have been to. But the catamaran trip is what I am going for. I would love to see the reef at Puerto Morelos, but I think the Catamaran trip on the water and the fun factor of this option are winning out.

TEXAS, your great recommendation of Snorkeling thru Wet Set is making our decision harder!

Edited: 18 March 2014, 14:06
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,930 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

Hmm, so much to do, so many choices!

Some of my favourites:

- the ruins at Coba followed by lunch next to the lake (Yucatreks Tours);

- snorkel excursion with Mayan Adventures (Yal Ku and then two private cenotes, one in a cave);

- DIY excursions (many of them!) to Akumal and Yal ku;

- Xcaret - went there for the benefit of the kids but ended up REALLY enjoying our day there (much more than I thought I would);

- golf cart tour of Isla Mujeres - we stayed there for a week so got to see and do LOTS on IM but the golf cart day was a definite highlight.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

Hello...I agree with Tex.

Puerto Morelos would be my first choice. If you're feeling energetic, it's @ a 30-45 minute walk on the beach. You can always catch a taxi back.

Tulum would be my second choice, but only if you do a private excursion and get there early.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

We loved spending time in Puerto Morelos. Quaint fishing village!

Isla Mujeres is a fantastic trip!! I think when you go from Cancun it is a much different experience. Puerto Morelos is already laid back so you wouldn't have the "Wow" that you would have had if you had gone from Cancun. But...highly recommend it for sure!

We really enjoyed about 2 hours at Crococun Zoo. We did not have any children with us, but it was a fun time anyway. Definitely something different.

We enjoyed a trip to Tulum and Akumal Beach with Ecab Explorer. Here is a link to the website:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g240327-d1…

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
584 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

Edventure Tours hands down

Boston...
Level Contributor
106 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

Ohmigosh, this is the "problem" with booking an AI since there are so many places and fun things to do, I don't want to stay on the property. Thanks for all your thoughts. I'm going to do some research on them now!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

We are going to ERC for the first time in May and in addition to a couple of the things mentioned above, we are also planning an afternoon at the Jungle Spa in Puerto Morelos. It seems to get pretty good reviews on here and is a fraction the price of a treatment at a resort spa

Enjoy your trip!

- SH

Massachussets
Level Contributor
370 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

We stayed near PM last April. We enjoyed dinner in town one night as well as a snorkeling tour. Our favorite activity however, was ziplinjng with Selvatica. It was a 1/2 day trip that included lunch & they picked us up at the hotel. It was a blast. Even my 5 year old absolutely loved it.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,906 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips - What would be your #1 recommendation

I wouldn't miss touring some ruins, since those are so unique, but Isla Mujeres is also pretty special. There is also a wonderful little Mexican cooking school right in PM - that wouldn't shoot your whole day - I traveled down from Isla Mujeres for the day to do it - loved it! :)

http://www.thelittlemexicancookingschool.com/

Oh - and to help you with any of your trips in the area, get some maps - www.cancunmap.com. They are more like the best little guidebook you will ever have. I have a bunch! :)

Edited: 19 March 2014, 00:52