We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ERC "pool police/beach police" question

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
ERC "pool police/beach police" question

Hello!

My husband and I just booked ERC for a third trip in late August. We are VERY much looking forward to a quick break in Mexico! We have visited all of the Excellence resorts (2x Punta Cana, 2x ERC, 1x EPM). We really love the Excellence Brand and the consistency.

I am just wondering about the new policy (new to us) with people removing your belongings if you have been absent from your chair for a while. A recent review says that they remove your stuff after 20 minutes of not being there! We usually go to lunch for a bit or take a walk on the beach. I was just hoping someone could further clarify their policy with your belongings as I would be a bit perturbed if I came back to me chair after lunch and everything was gone!!

Thanks in advance and happy travels :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ERC "pool police/beach police" question

Hi summersue....I don't know what the "policy" is but I can tell you what we did last week. Typically I'd get up before my wife, grab a coffee at the EC lounge, travel down to the EC pool or beach area, get two loungers and read and have coffee watching the world go by. When my wife would come down, we'd leave our stuff there and go for breakfast then return. Same at lunch we'd leave the stuff there and go for lunch, usually at the buffet. We'd tell the concierge that we'd be back in 30-45 minutes and were never longer than that. When we'd leave for the day we'd always pack up our towels and put in the bins.

You'll get all kinds of responses to your posting here, no doubt.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,677 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ERC "pool police/beach police" question

Hi

For the past two years at least a section in the evening newsletter has stated

"We would like to remind you that sunbeds are not allowed to be reserved, Please be informed that if the sunbeds are not being occupied we will proceed to take the personal belongings to our lost and found department"

From what I have heard it is only enforced when occupancy warrants it and people are finding problems locating a lounger and I had heard they allowed people around 40 - 50 mins

Edited: 24 April 2014, 19:57
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ERC "pool police/beach police" question

Last week, at the EC beach, we would set up with the beach concierge and let them know if we were going for breakfast so they knew we would be returning shortly. One day, we were going to walk to town, so we let them know that we were intending to use our palapa when we returned. No problem with our stuff, ever. We did see folks who were not staying in the EC, try to use the beach beds. They were politely redirected to the other beach. We also never had a problem when we went to grab some lunch.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,677 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ERC "pool police/beach police" question

Hi again

99% of the time we never reserve any loungers before going for breakfast and will normally clear our loungers before going for lunch and find a new spot afterwards

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ERC "pool police/beach police" question

Thanks for all of your responses! I feel a bit better now.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ERC "pool police/beach police" question

Simple. Just let a server know you will be back after breakfast/lunch/walking around/whatever. Make contact with the servers and let them know what you are doing and there will be no problem.

The folks that run down at 6:15am, lay a book down and a mag down, then don't show up for 5 hours, that is the problem.

It's the folks trying to get away with something that have the problem because they can't interface with the servers since they are trying to cheat. "I just left for a quick bite",. That's what is usually in their 2 star reviews.

The "police" part of your title makes me a but suspicious as to your intentions. Do you think because you run down and lay a magazine at 6:00 am that that is your chair for the whole day?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ERC "pool police/beach police" question

The policy in the newsletter was in there in 2012 for EPC and 2013 for EPM when we stayed there.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ERC "pool police/beach police" question

If you look at the recent reviews, people are referring to them as "beach police" etc. It seemed like the simplest way to address it in a short title. Judgy McJudgster over there in St. Louis.... ;)

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ERC "pool police/beach police" question

Ha ha.... well played summersue!

We're going in June for our third time and I guess I expect the same sort of situation, i.e. it's never as bad as people make it out to be. We have never had a problem finding a spot at either the pool areas or the beach. OK, maybe we aren't in the front row at the beach or not in the "prime" spots around the main pool, but there's plenty of spots around. If they enforce their own policy I say so much the better.

Since you're not going until August I feel safe giving you my super secret tip .... Nobody is EVER around at what I call The Secret Pool that is between 6B and 9 and then wraps around building 9. We have had that pool to ourselves a few times. If you track down a server, give them a tip, and then tell them that you would like service there you will be golden.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ERC "pool police/beach police" question

Chief,

You're right, sometimes the reviews are a bit dramatic.

Thanks for the tip!! I think I know the pool you are talking about and you're right, I don't recall seeing people there often. I really am looking forward to this trip as I am sure are you.