We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

I usually spend my time in Akumal and Tulum but as they grow I've been curious about PM and am considering a stop for a couple of days in September before I continue further south. I travel solo and would welcome advice on non AI hotels that are within easy walking distance (no car) to the center of town and either on the beach or very close by. Since it will be September, perhaps a place with a/c would be a wise choice. I've sweltered in Tulum in September without a/c and would rather not do that again. I'm not adverse to simple accommodations as long as the room is clean. And I would especially welcome any advice and tips concerning "don't miss" things to do and restaurants.

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

The only decent non-AI on the beach is Hacienda Morelos. Within a block of the beach I would highly recommend Casa Caribe B&B. I do not know whether Hacienda has A/C - check their website. Casa Caribe does not have A/C in the rooms, but it has an unobstructed view of the beach (a large, mostly vacant lot between it and the water), so you get the cooling benefit of Caribbean breezes! Posada El Moro would be a good choice too. Google any of these to find their respective websites. All are within a few blocks of the center of town.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

I'm intrigued by Casa Caribe. Have you stayed there? HM looks like a good option on the beach. Anyone else with some opinions?

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

I have not stayed at Casa Caribe, but I know the owner and some of the employees, and I attended The Little Mexican Cooking School there. The grounds are beautiful and it is very quiet and peaceful. It is literally less than two minutes to the beach, and they have beach chairs, umbrellas, and bikes for guest use. Four of the five rooms are on the second floor with nice balconies and breezes. Your stay there includes a wonderful breakfast each morning. Enjoy!

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

There are other options on the beach, but you should check the reviews here to make your decision. Ojo de Agua and Villas Latinas (now called Dos Naciones) are both on the beach and they both receive mixed reviews.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

Schedule a snorkeling trip with Diving Dog Tours. I did it once and the tour guides were great. Enjoy your trip

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,191 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

I stayed solo at Hacienda Morelos (I just attached photos on my review if you're interested)...I'd stay there again. If you decide to check it out...contact the hotel and ask Leslie what the price is..she's a very nice lady).

Posada el Moro would also be an option..I wandered around there..I thought it was cute...it's one block back but very close to everything and right next door to Tacos.com (awesome little place).

Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

Generally, there isn't anything more than a block to the beach. We stayed at Cabanas puerto morelos that is next to Casa Caribe...either place, you walk out the gate, cross the residential street and you're on sand. The cabanas have kitchens,great private porches with hammocks and a table and chairs and a small pool if you're too lazy to walk across the street. Everything in town is close...a ten minute walk. So many great options for food. By the way, the beach is very wide and no vendors...at least I never saw any! It's a relaxing, interesting and comfortable place to visit. There is lots of community spirit, check out Friends of Puerto Morelos to get a taste of the vibe.

Akumal, Mexico
Level Contributor
24 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

Casa Caribe is great. I have lived in Akumal for 20 years. I stayed at Casa Caribe recently and I found the rooms to be comfortable, and the staff welcoming. Everything is within walking distance. I highly recommend it.

9. Re: Advice Needed For 1st Visit to PM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:16