We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Several Questions for the PM experts!

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Several Questions for the PM experts!

Hello to all,

My husband, myself and two children, (22 and 19) are headed to Puerto Morelos in a couple of weeks and are very excited!

I have a few questions that I hope can be answered here.

First a little background, will be in PM for 5 nights at an AI (El Cid). We plan on hanging at the hotel for a day and then would like to explore the area. My kids have never been to an AI before so that should be quite exciting for them.

1. Would like to go snorkeling in the reef and saw the TA site for it. Is there a place that can link to the local dive shops in order to set up an early morning trip? Does anyone have names of local dive shops? Is there a Puerto Morelos visitor web site?

2. Thought about either visiting Cozumel or Isla Mujeres. Not sure for my kids which they might like better. With PM being so laid back, is cozumel better for adventure or excitement/sites, or can we get that just by going to Playa del Carmen?

3. We would like to visit Chichen Itza, ( we think). I understand it is a drive but we would leave extemely early so that it doesn't end up into late evening. Should we rent a car for one day? Is this workable from Puerto Morales? Some things I have read make me skeptical on renting a vehicle.

4. We love local spots and would love any advice on PM that would give us the local flavor.

I am sure I will have more questions as I look through my notes. I am a planner and love to have a good feel for the place I am headed to!

Please and Thank you

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Several Questions for the PM experts!

For snorkiling, we've used Wet Set a few times. Great experiences every time. Their website is www.wetset.com and e-mail is lindsay@wetset.com. Their phone number is 998-206-9204 at the dive shop. They are out of Hotel Ojo de Agua which is a great place to hang out. It has a restaurant, white sand beach, and one can snorkle from the shore, though not nearly as impressive as out at the reef! The restaurant has beach service. The food is quite tasty and the beer is cold! We love this place.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Several Questions for the PM experts!

Chitzen Itza is quite a long trip and the city is very large. It's easily an all day affair. I saw some folks without a guide but I wouldn't recommend it. IMHO, it would be a waste of time and money to go and not hire a guide as you would miss quite a lot.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Several Questions for the PM experts!

Playa del Carmen is nothing special.

It's a long 5th ave with shops and restaurants and they all want to get you in.

Isla Mujeres is fun for a day.

You could rent a taxi for a day and do Tulum and Coba.

Both very nice and in Coba you can climb one piramide.

Chitzen Itza we have never made it in all the trips we made, for me personal it's to long.

MD - USA
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Several Questions for the PM experts!

1) Diving Dog Tours or Wetset mentioned above. If you do not set up in advance it is not a big deal. You can just head to the main pier in town and find a captain first thing.

2) All 3 places you list are very different. I would suggest going to the TA page for all 3 locations and reading about them all or looking at the things to do section for each.

3) Plan a full day if you can. You can rent a driver, taxi, or transportation company and get a guide in the process as an option. You could rent a car but for 1 day it may just be easier and potentially cheaper to get a service.

4) Everything in PM is local. The restaurant rankings on the PM TA page are not perfect but they are pretty close (IMO). Go to that page and visit as many as you can.

Hope that helps. If you look at the pages I listed and have specific questions let us know.

texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Several Questions for the PM experts!

I will try to help a little with the research I have done. My family of four will also be there(ElCid) for 5 days, arriving July 4.

Snorkeling-from what I gather going from the hotel marina will cost twice as much and will be with a larger group. Going directly to the pier in Puerto Morelos will be a private trip with a guide and will cost half the price, maybe around $25 per person. I would not book ahead of time because I do not like being on a time schedule while on vacation and the weather could be a factor.

Cab to Puerto Morelos will be $8-$10usd to and from the hotel.

The hotel offers a free bike tour to town also, we will take advantage of this one morning and based on what we find in town will plan our day to go back and snorkel and shop.

Playa Del Carmen is a nice town, much larger than Puerto Morelos, more shopping, and a cool town and vibe, the ferry to Cozumel also leaves from there.

Cost to Playa from the hotel will be about 450 pesos(35usd) one way by taxi or you can take a taxi to Puerto Morelos to the bus stop and go to Playa for 50 pesos per person, just takes a little longer.

IF you are just shopping and eating you can get the same thing in Playa as Cozumel, if you have never been to either I would go to both though. Each town has it's own feel and they are all worth seeing once.

The big tours to Tulum and the ruins will waste your day sitting on buses in the heat, I do not do them, did one 20 years ago and said never again, you may like it though.

I would suggest getting a private guide/tour from one of the transportation companies if you want to do them, you can plan your own schedule that way.

Hope this helps, have a great time.

6. Re: Several Questions for the PM experts!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 17:35
Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Several Questions for the PM experts!

Thanks for all the input! Much reading and deciding to do!

Mohunter, where can I find information on the free bike tour to town?

I am bit of a control freak and feel as though with these excursions, I would want my own car for at least a day or two. Is it possible to rent in PM?

8. Re: Several Questions for the PM experts!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 17:35
texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Several Questions for the PM experts!

The bike tour information can be found at the hotel, I have heard people talk about it, not sure of it's on the El Cid website, I think it runs twice a day in a group with a guide, sounds like a short trip and not much time to shop around but you could get an idea of the town by doing it.

I do not think you can take the bikes on your own though.

I am not a fan of renting cars in Mexico at all, too risky for me, but hiring a guide or driver for the day is what I usually do. You can set it up through Canada or USA tours before you leave on there website.

10. Re: Several Questions for the PM experts!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:16