We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

Going to El Cid on July 5th.

A couple of quick questions:

I have seen some issues with ATM's in Puerto Morelos, so wondered if EL Cid has an ATM on their property? And if so has anyone had any scam issues with it?

Also a few months ago I remember reading something about upgrading package when at hotel so it would include palapas on beach, wifi in room and few other things. Anyone have any insight on that and if it is worth the extra $.

Thanks

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

Missed the edit time ....

So in addition, I did email the hotel and never received a reply. So rest of my question is, can you do this upgrade when you arrive and also do you have recent cost to do so?

texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

I leave on the 4th as well, looks like we will be there at the same time. I use the atm in the airport, I do not believe the hotel has one, PM in town also has a few.

You can upgrade at the hotel when you arrive, and the price is negotiable and also depends on what you have already booked. For reserved palapas, you are referring to the Platinum club upgrade, you can look on the El Cid website to see all that comes with the club, you also get an oceanview/front room with some other extras as well.

I booked the platinum club room, do not know if it's worth it or not but only cost me about $40 extra a day to get an oceanfront room hopefully, that alone is worth it to me.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

My family and I will be at El Cid starting on the 5th as well. Looking forward to it but the reviews have been sketchy lately.

Why would one need an ATM when you get there? Are US dollars not accepted? Any help is greatly appreciated!

texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

My experience in Mexico:

USD is widely accepted but with MXN pesos you will get the most bang for your buck. Why would you not want to use the currency currently used in the country you are visiting? It is a great learning experience for kids and fun too. No doubt it will also cost you less using them. The best place to get them is an atm, you will get the actual exchange rate, other areas will cost you, banks, hotels and cambios included.

The current rate is about 13MXN to 1USD which is about .77 as well.

For example a lot of places just convert 10 to 1 so if you read the forums enough people will say they paid $45 for a taxi to Playa Del Carmen when the actual rate is 450 pesos, the taxi driver converted 10-1, if you paid in peso's the cost should have been a little over $34usd.

Cost of taxi to PM is 100 pesos, actually $7.70 but if you pay with USD it will be $10.

These are just examples but it can add up quick if you are planning on spending a lot.

In most cases you will be overpaying about 30% on average for stuff using USD.

Hope this helps.

Ridgefield...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

There is an ATM at El Cid - I believe the transaction fee is an addittional 10%, which is charged to your bank account above and beyon conversion. Very whorthwhile to bring pesos with you, although you can use USD at a disadvantaged rate, as stated above.

Maryland
Level Contributor
119 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

Holacat and Mohunter texas,

Let me know how your exchange went with the monies as we leave on the 11th and are trying to keep up with it all~

We have already booked the platinum so I hope it will be worth it.

Thank you in advance!

west michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

I have used the ATM at El Cid with no problems. I do it so that I can get pesos. You can also exchange your USD for pesos at the front desk if you show them your passport. USD are accepted but I always use pesos.

Midwest
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

Be careful about the ATM! We were at the El Cid in March with 4 other families. Two weeks ago, my debit card was used with my PIN in Cucuta, Columbia (I'm in the USA). My bank caught it and declined 2 attempted withdraws. One of the other families we traveled with happened to mention her husband's card had been used (also declined) also in Cucuta. Contacted the other families - 4 of the 5 of us had used the ATM in the El Cid lobby that dispenses pesos (there are 2 - one USD and one pesos) - all 4 of us had that debit card info stolen and withdraws attempted. Two of the families had money taken from their accounts. No way was this a coincidence. It was 3 months after our trip - I would never had connected this to El Cid had my friend not mentioned what happened to them.

Lenexa, Kansas
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

Probably a little too late but four of us in our group had our debit cards compromised by the Peso ATM machine at El Cid. Either destroy your cards when you get back, or change your PIN.

kalamazoo, mi
Level Contributor
162 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM El Cid and Also upgrade room?

Did you upgrade to platinum? Did you find out the cost?