We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this sketchy?

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
245 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Is this sketchy?

I contacted a person about a Puerto Morelos condo listed here on TA (and on flipkey); the owner responded that their condo was reserved but a friend had a condo for rent in the same building. They want us to send a deposit to them (the first owners) and bring cash for the rest of the stay when we arrive.

I'm not super comfortable renting from people whose names I don't even know (the friends) and not having any kind paper trail via VRBO, TA or Flipkey.

What do you think?

I'm having a hard time finding a PM rental - those on VRBO are booked. Any other suggestions?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this sketchy?

At first read, yes, it seems dubious. Thinking further, however, this guy may simply be trying to help both you and his friend. What is this owner's reputation? If he has several + reviews and keeps his TA ad current that would make me feel good enough to explore further.

Several hurdles remain. First off, any rental agreement is a legal contract. Who are you entering into this legal arrangement with? Will he vouch for your satisfaction with his friend's property? Second, have you seen pictures of the friends place? You should be able to view the actual property you will be in.

If you get push back on any of these two items I'd walk away. If satisfied with that then I would definitely demand that you talk with the friend...

Edited: 08 July 2014, 18:50
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
765 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this sketchy?

i would have the first owner put you in contact with their friend so that you can deal directly with whom you are renting from.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this sketchy?

Yes, sounds sketchy. Always trust your gut.

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this sketchy?

Send me the link of the property you Are dealing with and I can quickly tell you. Which condos? Deposit to them and balance on arrival is probably more to do with collecting commission than anything else. We have a high standard of reputable holiday rentals here, funny business is frowned upon and jumped upon.

Best

Cat

Thelittlemexicancookongschool

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,841 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this sketchy?

Actually it sounded like a normal response. Their unit is rented but their friend has an opening Also the deposit now and cash on arrival is normal as well. Share the condo name with us and we can probably alleviate your fears.

6. Re: Is this sketchy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:15