We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at Now Sapphire

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at Now Sapphire

Hey All!

Is the beach really bad at Sapphire with the seagrass? Is the beach at Now Jade better? Ive read lots on here about each beach, just looking for a current response.

Travelling the last week of November for a family members wedding....they are choosing Now Sapphire (although not booked yet) but hadn't done any research on the resort. In reading the reviews, it appears hardly anyone even goes into the water at Sapphire due to the excessive amount of seagrass/seaweed. Im a huge beach person, so Im assuming this would be a horrible choice for me...

We will also be travelling with my 11 month old son and I want him to be able to enjoy the beach at the resort we choose

Thanks!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at Now Sapphire

I was at the NOW Sapphire back in July 2012. Seagrass was a BIG issue at that time.

The resorts in the general vicinity do a great job of cleaning up what gets washed up on shore (although the sight/sound/smell of a tractor driving up and down the beach kinda harshes one's vacation mellow). The problem us what's floating in the first few feet of water - obviously the resorts can't do anything about that and, for me, it rendered the ocean "unswimmable".

Some people say that seagrass isn't always a problem there and I believe them. Mother Nature can be fickle and I recently heard of a beach that I've been to a LOT over the past 6 years being inundated with seaweed/seagrass.

However, the very fact that the resorts around NOW Sapphire keep a tractor on hand to clean up the beach indicates to me that this is an issue more often than not.

Other than the seagrass, the beach here is lovely - smooth and sandy and you can walk for miles in either direction, even all the way to Puerto Morelos to the south.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 15:20
Halifax
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at Now Sapphire

Thank you!! this was exactly what I was looking to know!!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at Now Sapphire

Best beach imo is at the Barcelo...

Kansas City Mo
Level Contributor
425 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at Now Sapphire

We were there last August and the sea grass and the not turquoise water is the only reason I would not go back. We also are beach people and it was a big disappointment to us.

5. Re: Beach at Now Sapphire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 06:17