We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Azul

Tulsa
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from Azul

Any questions?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,486 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Azul

Hi

Would you recommend it and did it's smallness work for or against it?

Cornwall
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Azul

Hi there!

I'm off in 3 weeks! Is the new Chill restaurant open yet?

Cornwall
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Azul

Hi there!

I'm off in 3 weeks! Is the new Chill restaurant open yet?

Tulsa
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Azul

We loved that it was so small. There wasn't crowds of people around, and the service was more personalized I think. Everyone remembers your name right away, the beach butlers, the bartenders, everyone.

Chil wasn't open yet. We mostly ate at the grill so we could look over the water. We did eat at the Asian place twice, and it was super great! They have a sail boat that Andreas will take you out on if you ask him. You will love it there. It's very peaceful, and way relaxing. Pretty much everything about the resort is romantic. The rooms are very simple, not as nice as others I've been to, but we really didn't spend that much time in our rooms. And they are very clean. The check in was fab! After traveling all day, it was really nice to be offered a cool scented towel and champange! I would like to tell you though, the concierge in the lobby is pretty much a time share guy. He right away tried to make an apt for us to go "visit" the EDR.

Other advise is, the mosquitos are really pretty bad if the wind is calm at night. Take some bug spray, or you will end up buying some at the gift shop and paying $7 for it!

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
265 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Azul

Did you arrange transport from the airport to the hotel ahead of time? If so through where? Did you go on any excurisions like to Playa del Carmen?

Do men need to dress for dinner in slacks?

Steph

Georgetown, De.
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Azul

glad to hear you had a good vacation...are you able to snorkel off the beach at the resort and if so how was it?? we have been to the Akumal Beach resort many times and are looking for a change but the beach and the snorkeling there are just so wonderful...thats why I'm curious to know how it was at the Azul...thanks for the info!!

Tulsa
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Azul

We did go on a shopping trip to Playa Del Carmen. They have a bus at 3pm I think every day. It was perfect. They shopping was great. I think it was 5th ave they took us to, and it was a long long shopping strip. Lots of places to eat, and very lush setting with plants and so on. We totally enjoyed it. The bus picks you up at 6, same place where he drops you off. $10 per person. Much better shopping trip than Cancun.

We did not snorkel while we were there, but you can see where the reef is straight out from the beach. There were boats of people heading back and forth and parking out there to snorkel. Looks like a good time. Probably next time we will make a plan to do it. We did meet some friends that went on a different snorkel excursion that left out of Cancun, and they said it was great. They totally loved it! Not sure who they went through on that, but.....

We did arrange our airport transfers before we left. It is a really good idea! The last leg of leaving the airport can be chaotic, and it is good to have that all set up, and looking for 'your' people! There are tons of people that try to carry your bags or set you up with rides. Personally I would find it stressful if I didn't plan that ahead of time. It was even stressful just getting by all those other people to find our guy.

Tulsa
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Azul

Oh, and my husband took pants to wear for dinner, but never wore them. Just make sure he has shirts with sleeves, and wears shoes. That's it.

Mpls
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Azul

Hi - heading down on Friday - yyyeeeaaahhhh!!!!!

I'm an apple-tini drinker - do I need to lug my apple mix or do they have such obscure stuff behind the bar at the Azul Beach?

Should we have a concern about parking lot security for our rental car?

thanks, nanuck3

Mpls
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Azul

Heading for Azul Beach on Friday - YYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!

I am an Apple-tini drinker - wondering if they carry any weird mixes behind their bars - or should I carry my own down?

thanks, nanuck3