We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

Mayan Riviera...
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

We plan on going to Barcelo Maya Beach in Feb/Mar, and I was just wondering which is the best way to go to Cozumel for the day, through Cancun or Playa del Carmen, and how much does it cost, etc., also if one wants to go to Isla Muejeres, info please as well would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Northern California
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

It depends on where you will be staying...Playa is about a 30 minute ride, about $11pp one way...Cancun is about an hour ride...Cozumel was cool, but if you just want to do shopping, the prices were better at my resort, believe it or not, and for the same exact stuff...Playa and Cozumel prices were the same...but, I really wanted to go to Cozumel to say I was there...but other than that, it was not much different than Playa or any other shopping center...

Delta, BC
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

Cozumel is worth seeing and it is very easy to get there from Playa Del Carmen. You can just hop on the ferry for between $11 - 14/person round trip. I would recommend renting mopeds once you arrive and touring the island. There are incredible beaches to see and the drive is only about 65km around the island. Have fun!

Delta, BC
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

I forgot to mention that the ferry ride is about 25 - 30 minutes each way.

Mayan Riviera...
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

Thanks Mr. Teach, you mentioned that prices were really good at your resort, but where is your resort, you did not mention. Please specify. My husband and I would really like to go to Cozumel just to say that we went, and to experience the ferry ride. How much did you say the ferry ride was? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks. Dar

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

Ferry ride 110 pesos ($10 USD) per person each way. Only buy one way tickets.

Avoid mopeds.

Car rental here: http://www.islacozumel.net/services/isis/

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,674 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

Agree, renting mopeds is a very bad idea if you want to return from Cozumel without injury!

Northern California
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

Hey Dar...Sorry about that...we stayed at Barcelo as well...you do know there are 4 properties there, right? We stayed at the Colonial...there is a slight difference between the Beach and the Colonial, and I will go into that if you want, if you don't know it already...whether you stay at the Beach or the Colonial or the other 2, you can use all of the amenities at any of them...you probably know that already...We went to Cozumel last year, enjoyed it, and the ferry ride, and returned to Barcelo last month with friends, and we went again(which was OUR mistake because once you've done it at Cozumel or Playa, in OUR opinion, you've done the shopping, you really don't need to go off the resort to do your shopping, but like you, we wanted to see Cozumel...we also took a snorkel trip from there, which was not nearly as good as the snorkeling at Barcelo...even better, we took a taxi from Barcelo to Akumal Bay, and the snorkeling was even better there, so no need to take a tour if you are into that...when you arrive in February, the new Barcelo Palace should be done,and they are adding more and more shops to what they already have...

Northern California
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

We had thought about going to Isla Muejeres also when we had thought we wanted to stay in Cancun...sounds veyr similar to Cozumel, the whole renting a moped, and eating lunch there and browsing for the day and snorkeling...but as a hurricane cancelled that trip, we decided the next year to go to Mayan Riviera instead, quieter, calmer waves, really a nice trip to the Barcelo for MANY reasons...but Isla Muejeres from Playa would be at least an hour by ferry as Cancun airport is about 30 minutes by car from Playa...others might be able to pin down the exact times better

9. Re: Going to Cozumel from Cancun or Playa del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 13:17