We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

How long should we allow to drive from the Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel to San Simeon for a visit to Hearst Castle? We will have toured Big Sur the day before (and have also visited several other times)so won't be needing to keep stopping on the way down.

Google maps suggests approx 2 hours, but I'm not sure if they take account of the nature of the roads in those predictions.

Thanks!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

The time on Google is correct without stops. The only things which will slow the trip down is if there is construction that day or if there is a bad rain storm and the road has closure due to landslides. You can check all these highway conditions that morning at www.dot.ca.gov.

Enjoy!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

DaviesUK asked «How long should we allow to drive from the Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel to San Simeon»

At least four hours.

lease visit the DRIVING DIRECTIONS page geocities.com/touringsfo/…DriveDir.html It's augmented by the linked report "A Trip to Anaheim…"

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

FOUR HOURS!! Without stopping!!

Blimey - that's less than 25 miles per hour. I bow to your local knowledge, but I *really* don't recall the road being that narrow and twisty.

I guess we'll have to leave Carmel at 7.30am to be at San Simeon in time to pick up our tickets for the 12 o'clock tour.

My husband will *not* be pleased.......

DaviesUK

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

I don't agree with 4 hours--unless you make stops or conditions are very bad. From Carmel Highlands to Big Sur will take about 45 minutes. I would say total driving time will be under 3 hours.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,077 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

Some of the route you will be under 25 mph, but not the whole way. Some times you can easily be up to 45 or 50 mph. I'd say 2 hours may be a little agressive, but not too far off. Give yourself some extra time in case you are stuck behind a motorhome or something. If the weather is bad, you can take Hwy 101 instead and then cut over to Hwy 1 on 33 at Cambria and back track north to San Simeon a bit.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

Relax, Davies

From Tickle Pink, it won't take more than 2 1/2 hours to reach Hearst Castle. SwingCha was answering your question... "How long should we allow?"..... to include stops in Big Sur, which you will have already enjoyed the day before.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

Phew- thanks, folks!

Unless we have terrible rainstorms, we'll aim to leave between 8.30 and 9am then :-)

DaviesUK

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

DaviesUK asked «How long should we allow to drive from the Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel to San Simeon»

SwingCha answered «At least four hours.» because of the word "allow". Yes, it's only ninety miles or so and could easily be driven in 2½ hours or so were it not infused with s spectacularity that demands more than a cursory glimpse. DaviesUK might think it's possible to traverse that road without stopping. I doubt that anyone, even by moonless starlight, ever has. I also doubt that DaviesUK will.

Allow four hours, DaviesUK. If you make it quicker, have a cuppa coffee and peruse the exhibits in the visitors' center.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

Swingcha, my message (all of it, and not just the first sentence) made clear that we have driven this route several times over the years, and will be driving down to Big Sur again the day before, each time stopping to enjoy the beauties en route.

What we have never done is drive the route without breaks for refreshment and views, which is why I posted the question. We have a long way to go that day - from Carmel to San Simeon, and the Hearst Tour, and then on to Malibu.

If I state that we will be driving down that day from Carmel to San Simeon with no intention of stopping unless forced to by mudslides etc, I think I should be taken at my word!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Carmel to San Simeon in April - how long to drive?

DaviesUK insisted «If I state that we will be driving down that day from Carmel to San Simeon with no intention of stopping unless forced to by mudslides etc, I think I should be taken at my word!»

Indeed you should. I have re-read your original post to learn that I own you an apology that's tendered herewith.

And my opinion of the answer: 2½ hours.