We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

Well, bad news for those planning on straight through drive on the Big Sur coast. New estimates say the highway could be closed through the month of June.

Here's the latest:

sanluisobispo.com/2011/05/05/1590116/part-of…

Edited: 06 May 2011, 00:40
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,518 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

Well, that changes our plans. Thanks for the update.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

@ bw92116

You can still access Big Sur using the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road option over the Santa Lucia Mountains. Since you love the Tioga Pass, you might enjoy this drive, as well.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,518 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

Ok thanks!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

Hi K-mom. I couldn't tell from the article exactly how far south you can drive from Carmel. Do you know? Thanks. Hope all is well with you.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

Hi PGd

Yes! We drove up to where the road is closed last week to take a look (No, we could not see the slide from that point) and measured it as 4 miles north of Salmon Creek. The Caltrans site has it closed 3 1/2 miles south of Gorda, so about 63 miles from Carmel is how far you can get,

I'm doing well. Just finished up 2 months of 3 day weekends to burn off some of my accumulated vacation time :-)

** Look for my PM about my missed opportunity!

Singapore
Level Contributor
617 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

Hi K-mom We'll be driving from Cambria to Gilroy and then SF from July 9. Will the closure route you mentioned affect us?

Our route is Cambria - Carmel - Gilroy - SF. I assume we're not passing by the Big Sur?

Thanks!

Chris

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

@ Chris

Big Sur lies between Cambria & Carmel. Too early to tell if the highway will be open by the time of your visit. The original estimation for clearing the road was 4-6 weeks and now they've extended that time frame.

If the highway is closed in July, you will have to use the inland Highway 101 to get to Carmel.

Edited: 06 May 2011, 07:14
Singapore
Level Contributor
617 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

Thanks for your prompt reply Kibblesmom.

Will there be signs that direct us to 101? I have no clue on that stretch yet and will depend solely on our GPS from Hertz.

And, If we can't drive that stretch, will we miss out anything nice? Should we reconsider and fly instead?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

That particular stretch of highway is considered some of the most scenic and dramatic coastline in all of California, so, yes, you would be missing out on some pretty special stuff.

Hopefully the highway will be open by then, but too soon to tell.

Getting to Highway 101 from Cambria is easy. Just take Highway 1 south 4 miles to Highway 46, turn left and you'll come upon Highway 101 in less than half an hour. You'll want to go north on Highway 101 to the Monterey Peninsula exit as you enter the town of Salinas. Then just follow the signs to get onto Highway 68 west toward Monterey. As you near Monterey, stay to the left when the highway expands to two lanes so you can access Highway 1 south toward Carmel, which is not too much further down the road.

Singapore
Level Contributor
617 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Sur Road Closure to Last Longer Than Expected

Oh no, this is disappointing to hear :(

Please keep us posted. I hope it'll be opened by then :(

Thanks for the clear directions. I'll probably print out and bring it with me :)