We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report - the best laid plans. . .

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
trip report - the best laid plans. . .

Day 3 – Bright blue sky through the redwoods promised another great day. We soon discovered the dense marine layer that lie below, sigh. The entire coastline from Andrew Molera State Park to Ragged Point was obliterated. Instead of arriving at San Simeon in time for sunset, we were there for lunch. There was just no point to hiking trails with breath-taking views . . . . of the gray-white billows.

I had reserved tours for the next morning and the staff were very understanding and switched our tickets to the next available tours that afternoon. We had to take the Upstairs Suites tour first, then the Grand Rooms tour. There are some (hundreds, at least) remarkable objets d’art, not to mention the ceilings, walls, mantels, etc. It was quite a treat and seemed to be a lot longer - and more interesting - than the Grand Rooms tour. Perhaps it was just more intense, but it was far and away the one we both preferred.

Then we checked into our room at Motel 6 (very comfortable) and drove to Cambria for a delicious dinner at Robin’s (thanks again to Kibblesmom for the recommendation).

Day 4 – Any thought of backtracking for a hike or two was dashed to bits as soon as I looked out the window. The dreaded marine layer had enveloped the entire coastal area. Gray, gray, gray. We went back to Cambria to get a closer, slower look at the charming homes and shops we had zipped past last night and at some of the 200-plus life-size figures all over town (Octoberfest celebrations). One wine-tasting and lunch at Main Street Grill (the best fries and onion rings on the West Coast), then east to wine country and more tastings. It was lots of fun to chat with folks at each of the wineries (both the employees and the other visitors) while sipping. We ended our day at the Adelaide Inn in Paso Robles – a real gem.

Thus ended our California adventure. The next morning we left for Las Vegas and Zion National Park (where we are now - spectacular . . . as always).

Many thanks to everyone here who provided suggestions and recommendations. We couldn’t have done it without you.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report - the best laid plans. . .

Hi Pitzikat

I'm so sorry to hear your drive along Big Sur was marred by the marine layer and that you missed out on those great views. Had a similar experience in September on the drive home from Pacific Grove, so I know how disappointing that can be. Looks like you managed to make lemonade out of it, though, by adjusting your visit to Hearst Castle, which opened up time for you the next morning to visit the town of Cambria.

Hope you can return sometime when the weather is more cooperative.

Edited: 22 October 2011, 13:16
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report - the best laid plans. . .

Thanks Kibbs. I did get great views from Pacific Grove and Carmel, so I wasn't too disappointed. And the next time I'm in the Bay Area (I seem to get there every couple of years), I'll try to be more fortunate.

In spite of the marine layer, it was a wonderful trip.

Level Contributor
36,173 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report - the best laid plans. . .

Sounds nice, I'm glad you enjoyed your meal at Robin's, it's one of our favorite places in Cambria. :)

4. Re: trip report - the best laid plans. . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 04:16